The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, tuning, optimizing, troubleshooting and the general administration of storage/backup systems to support the technical capabilities of Cox Automotive. The individual works closely with customers to gather and understand the requirements and configure systems to ensure the company’s needs are met. The engineer performs system installations, resolves incidents, performs security and data analysis, and analyzes system space and performance capacity. The engineer takes the lead to research and provide solutions to complex problems. The individual must be able to work with minimal to no supervision on multiple concurrent complex projects and be able to coordinate work of others. The engineer must possess excellent troubleshooting skills, in- depth knowledge and attention to detail. The engineer must work effectively using excellent communication skills, both with team members and business contacts. The Engineer must be able to work collaboratively with other infrastructure groups.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBLITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Engineer should be detail oriented and must be able to think independently; exhibit a high level of initiative and self-confidence along with strong verbal and written communication skills; demonstrate excellent time management skills.
- Participate in the design and implementation of new or changing systems based on customer needs and internal guidelines.
- Define and evaluate integration strategies and architecture enhancements to meet mission objectives/needs. Develops detailed technical plans to guide development and integration activities.
- Respond to trouble tickets from the Service Desk automated trouble ticketing system.
- Perform Ad Hoc Backups as well as schedule and monitor automated backs and oversee data replication.
- Responsible for disaster recovery, backup, and recovery functions, including providing training and guidance for other system engineers on basic backup & restore functions.
- The ability to troubleshoot and resolve system issues leading to failed Backups.
- Working experience with VMware vSphere/vCenter.
- Working experience with SQL cluster servers.
- Working experience with Windows/Linux servers.
- Experience in Avamar & Data Domain Backup technologies design, implementation and administration and management including DDBoost.
- Working knowledge of DPA report.
- Perform Avamar/DDOS code upgrades & patching.
- Share knowledge by effectively documenting work and processes.
- Stay current on new technology and methodologies in area of expertise.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of assigned support areas.
- Work with the team to ensure the quality of implementations.
- Proactively generate solutions for managing a large system base.
- Conducts requirement analysis.
- Respond quickly and effectively to production issues and take responsibility for seeing those issues through resolution.
- Participate in problem solving and troubleshooting for assigned areas.
- Manage and address trouble tickets as assigned.
- Easily adjusts to changing priorities or projects
- Maintains a calm, professional tone when consulting with customers
- Develops technology plans and road maps for migration of systems and the development/analysis of recommendations for upgrades and enhancements to the existing storage infrastructure.
- Proactively seeks out new training initiatives and alternative ways that can expand one’s technical knowledge.
- Provide weekly status for all projects and tasks.
- Participate in on-call rotation of 24x7 support and be flexible in availability as needed.
- Mentor less experienced Engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with Avamar/DataDomain
- 5+ years of experience in Information Technology related field
- Extensive knowledge of NFS, CIFS and iSCSI protocols
- Experience working with ESXi
- NetApp Cluster-Mode Administration experience
- Netapp Storage Grid
- DataDomain Cloud Tier
- DataDomain Administration
- Avamar Grid Administration
- Dell PPDM (Power Protect)
- Experience with various server administration, including UNIX/Linux and Microsoft Windows
- UNIX Shell and/or PowerShell scripting experience
- Working knowledge with Service NOW is a plus
- Knowledge of data center networking infrastructure
To be employed in this role, you’ll need to clear a pre-employment background check and drug test. Cox Automotive does not currently consider a pre-employment drug test for marijuana for this position. However, we are a drug-free workplace, so the possession, use or being under the influence of drugs illegal under federal or state law during work hours, on company property and/or in company vehicles is prohibited.
- Compensation includes a base salary of $86,400.00 - $144,100.00. The salary rate may vary outside of the anticipated range based on factors such as the ultimate location of the position and the selected candidate's experience.
- Position is eligible for additional compensation that may include commission (annual, monthly, etc.) and/or and incentive program.
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What’s more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.