THE ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION – COX FIRST MEDIA
JOB TITLE : Accounts Payable Manager
ENTITY : The Atlanta Journal Constitution, Cox First Media, Cox Newspaper Supply
DEPARTMENT : Finance Department
This position, located in Atlanta, Georgia, will be responsible for managing all aspects and activities of various accounts payable work streams to ensure processing of vendor invoices, T&E, procurement and payments in accordance with prescribed policies, procedures and timelines. The successful candidate will also be responsible for responding to internal and external inquiries, serving as first level of problem resolution, as well as researching and resolving any issues that may cause delays in invoice/payment processing. The position will set day-to-day duties and ensure interface with supporting departments for completion. This position will both train give direction to others for all AP work streams and activities.
He or she will contribute to the organization’s profitability by processing invoices in a manner that will maximize prompt payment discounts, minimize late payment charges, minimize returned checks, and prevent duplicate payments. He/she will be able to work independently with general guidance. This position requires the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Key Responsibilities :
The Manager should have knowledge/experience and be able to independently manage the full lifecycle Accounts Payable process to include:
• Optical Character Recognition/Advanced Data Capture
• Upload and manual invoice processing
• Customer Service/Vendor Maintenance
• Payments/Returned Check Processing/1099 & 1042 reporting/Special Projects
• Manage the full lifecycle AP Process for AJC, Cox First Media and Cox Newspaper Supply
• Responsible for training – Concur T&E, Purchase Card and Oracle Accounts Payable modules
The manager will be responsible for training a back up support person during absences and vacations.
General Task Responsibilities :
- Independently enter/process invoices and credit memos in accordance with established policies, procedures, and timeframes.
- Review purchase orders and receiving documents to verify receipt of goods or services for PO invoices. Follow up in a timely manner with requisitions to request receipt. Work with vendors and/or Procurement to resolve errors that may result in payment delays.
- Review invoices for correct general ledger account codes, discounts, payment terms, descriptions, taxes and accuracy.
- Use the AJC/CEI Tax Matrix to ensure that tax is only paid or accrued when appropriate. Minimize the need for tax accruals and short-pays by working with vendors to ensure that taxes are charged at the appropriate rates.
- Flag 1099 transactions to ensure accurate 1099 reporting at year-end.
- Scan Invoices that are received through US postal mail.
- Resolve invoices that have been rejected in the Interface and by an approver.
- Reconcile monthly vendor statements and follow up on all open issues. Work with vendors and colleagues to resolve payment discrepancies.
- Research, resolve and respond to internal and external information requests regarding payment status in a prompt and accurate manner.
- Prepare department for Month End close by running/reviewing for Open and Rejected Invoices.
- Manage month-end Accounts Payable Close Process.
- Compiling, analyzing, and reporting financial information to management and government agencies.
- Record payments in Oracle that are initiated outside of our financial system.
- Complete Series Post for invoice, expense report and PO receipt batches.
- Audit employee T&E submission’s based on audit criteria.
- Prepare wire payment requests in a timely manner.
- Research returned checks and EFT’s. Take appropriate action to void/reissue payments. Place stop payments as needed.
- Review accounts payable aging report to clear aged invoices and request vendor credits/refunds for amounts over 90 days.
- Assist with the issuance of accurate 1099’s to independent contractors and prizewinners and submission of information returns with the IRS according to published IRS guidelines.
- Provide training to “AP” back-up support to fill in during absences and vacations.
- Identify and participate in process improvement projects.
- Lead/participate in periodic service review calls with internal customers to ensure that services issues are identified and resolved. Escalate issues to department management as appropriate.
- Be the primary liaison for any procurement activities including requests, research, and requisitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience; prefer a minimum of 7-10 years of experience with end to end experience in all AP functions
- Oracle Accounts Payable module experience
- OCR/Advanced Data Capture and automated workflow experience preferred
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills
- Ability to maintain productive and professional relationships with vendors and internal customers
- Ability to analyze, solve problems and excellent decision-making skills
- Ability to convey ideas and information clearly and effectively both verbally and in written form
- Self-motivated with high energy level
- Multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills
- Comfortable with complex ERP system transactions
- Demonstrates a commitment to accuracy while meeting departmental goals and deadlines
- Thorough understanding of the P2P process and the roles of other departments in the process
- Knowledge of 1099 and Sales/Use tax requirements
- Ability to work independently
- Manage work processes
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
Knowledgeable, analytical and decisive with excellent leadership and communication skills
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.