With nearly 30 offices in 13 different states, Cox Media covers 6 million households across our footprint, connecting advertisers of all sizes to audiences across multiple screens. Using everything from cable TV to the latest digital products, we create multi-platform advertising campaigns to exceed our clients’ marketing objectives. Cox Media is now hiring for a Business Development Consultant.
The Business Development Consultant develops prospects and sells marketing solutions to new Cox Media clients across a range of industries. Works with other sales consultants and Cox Media departments to develop proposed solutions. After the initial contract is signed, successfully transitions ongoing client support and subsequent account development for new accounts to the sales consultant who will have primary responsibility for managing the account.
Spends the majority of time working independently in the field meeting with prospective clients, or finding new prospects. Responsible for driving and maintaining a personal vehicle for extensive local travel with mileage reimbursement (or allowance). The position is part of a budget-driven, sales organization, in a fast-paced, high-energy work environment. After-hours work is sometimes required to build client relationships. Works with a large and growing portfolio of products (50+ networks, new media, etc.) to create packages to support clients’ marketing plans.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
· Identifies new prospects using multiple sources of sales leads (other media, internal resources, and external networking, and investigating new and expanding businesses). Collects information about prospects’ businesses from their websites and other sources to prepare for sales calls. Uses a CRM tool to qualify prospective clients, i.e., to assess their potential spending. Recommends the appropriate sales channel and marketing solutions. Consults with Local Sales Manager to maintain the prospect list and prioritize the most appropriate prospects. Prospecting takes up a majority of Business Development Consultants’ time.
· Calls on prospective clients by phone or in-person to interest them in on-air advertising by explaining the process and benefits of advertising with Cox Media and to obtain an appointment.
· Meets with prospective clients in-person to collect information required to assess their advertising needs and to estimate the amount of potential business the account represents and when the sale will close.
· Builds an effective consultative relationship with clients, advertisers, and the agencies that represent them during the sales process. May entertain clients.
· Analyzes the quantitative and qualitative data collected from Cox Media enterprise research applications and tools to prepare and gain appropriate insight for the initial sales call.
· Collaborates with other sales consultants and Cox Media departments to develop sales proposals designed to meet individual client needs by reviewing rating data and other research. Consult with internal resources as needed, primarily Marketing, Research, Production, and Sales Services. Customer proposals will be created in conjunction with the Media Consultant or other Associates assigned to the account by the Local Sales Manager.
· With support from the assigned Media Consultant, prepares for and co-presents multi-media ad campaign proposals to client decision-makers. Leverages the position of Cox and the media products it offers to educate clients and influence their marketing strategies.
· With support from the assigned Media Consultant, negotiates expectations, terms, conditions, and pricing of advertising products and services with prospective clients.
· Introduces new clients to the Media Consultant team. Plans and coordinates the smooth transition of new accounts to a member of the team who will provide ongoing client service, support, and future account development and retention.
· May work in sales teams with managers and/or AEs from other Cox Business groups to sell bundled Cox products.
· Tracks personal performance in CRM (e.g., activities, projected sales, % to budget), and develops plans to achieve and exceed the budget.
· Prepares regular expense reports, sales forecasts, and sales activity reports using CRM, Oracle, and the CMBI tool.
· Keeps client database up to date by recording all activities, transactions, and communications with clients.
· Attends job-related training to increase company knowledge, sales skills/techniques, and competitor products and pricing strategies. Attend and participate in strategic and/or development meetings with Sales management.
· Participates in internal meetings to create product packages, sales processes, communicate and coordinate sales, r sales activities reports, implement new products, solve problems, and keep up-to-date with information about Cox.
· Creates and participates in opportunities to serve as a public representative and image builder of Cox in the local community to network and develop and maintain the Cox’s presence; e.g. promotes and/or attends non-profit events, serves as a member of the Chamber of Commerce and other local councils, becomes a member of the Ad Federation or American Marketing Association.
· Sales, business development, or sales consultation experience preferred within a sales environment
· Requires experience using Microsoft Office applications in a work or non-work setting
· BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (sales, advertising, or marketing)
· 2 years of experience in the Media Sales environment
· Experience in the telecommunications industry desired
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.