The Wireless Engineering Technology team leads the planning and engineering deployment of our Stand Alone multi-wireless use case 5G Core Platform and will utilize the expertise of our Wireless Core Network Engineer that will drive various projects around the engineering functions within the Wireless Engineering Technology team to include the following activities: 5GC advanced wireless lab program and trials, 5G Core cloud selection, test criteria and orchestration, core network support of Cox Wireless use-cases inclusive of: Fixed Wireless Access, MVNO offload network, IoT and Private Managed Networks. The Wireless Sr. Core Network Engineer will provide wireless industry expertise and knowledge in successfully driving task completion and will have project oversight by our Lead Engineer and will report to our Sr. Manager. With the growth of our team, and roadmap maturity, the Wireless Engineering support will continue to change allowing team members the opportunity for personal growth.
- Drive the design, build and test activities of Cox 5G Core virtualized cloud platform and orchestration
- Drive the design, build and test activities with regards to new products, services, hardware, software and feature/functionality within our wireless use cases centered around 5G Core network activities inclusive of testing, traffic analytics, scripting, hyperscaler and 5GC OEM engagements
- Develop and drive the 5GC test strategy and test cases, execute tests, revisit platform as necessary and document results
- Clearly understand technical problems and define solutions and mitigation path forward
- Methodically scope, troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix complex problems as required on Cox wireless networks while minimizing customer impacts and outages
- Partner with peer Engineering team members to gain in-depth understanding of proposed changes to hardware, software or configurations and associated implications
- Replicate production issues in wireless lab environment along with traffic generators/simulators as necessary to test fixes and to regression test launches
- Assess and continually improve lab methods and procedures
- Quickly understand preliminary product/platform concepts or high-level designs and subsequently author technical requirements as necessary based on those understandings
- Translate high level engineering documentation into working configurations and test plans with additional applicable data where necessary
- Partner with Operations team members to prepare low level designs, configurations and methods and procedures to gain operational perspective, including network reliability, scalability, simplicity, and standardization to ensure success through launch of the change
- Participate in planned maintenance activities during maintenance windows as needed
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline and a minimum of 4 years of experience as a technical engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry and/or Cloud IT space, OR Masters of Science in a related discipline + 2 years of experience, OR PhD + 1 year of relevant experience
- Fundamental knowledge in LTE and 5G Core network 3GPP standards, protocol and wireless OEM architectures
- Fundamental knowledge with IT cloud platforms and orchestration
- Specific experience in the performance management or operating of large-scale service provider wireless networks or experience with a Wireless OEM vendor that supported its Mobile Network Operating customers with broad wireless mobility technology experience that should include LTE and/or 5G Core networks as well as Private Cloud Solutions
- Intermediate knowledge in Network Monitoring Systems and Device/Network Management Systems, like SNMP, etc.
- Fundamental knowledge in all packet-based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc.)
- Networking knowledge (VLAN, subnetting, IPv4 and IPv6)
- Fundamental knowledge in scripting (shell, python, perl, etc.)
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Master of Science in Electrical or Computer Science Engineering and 6 years of experience as a technical engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry
- Hands on experience with IT cloud platforms and orchestration
- Working experience with LTE and 5G Core network 3GPP standards, protocol and wireless OEM architectures
- Familiarity with simulation tools such as Spirent platform
- Knowledge in DOCSIS access and provisioning technologies.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.