Software Engineer Manager
Like a seasoned symphony conductor, a good leader will step up and orchestrate the teamwork necessary to get a job done well. We’re in search of that very kind of leader (no musical skills required, it’s just an analogy) in our quest for an experienced Software Engineer Manager (SEM).
At Cox Automotive, our engineers and technologists are literally changing the way people buy, sell and use cars. With operations across five continents and powerhouse consumer and b2b brands like Autotrader, Kelly Blue Book and Manheim in our family, we have the reach to make this transformation happen in new and exciting ways.
You can be a part of these new and exciting ways, as we count on you to oversee the successful design, execution, and timely delivery of our Product Owner’s requirements. You’ll also work closely with our Product Engineering team, assuring their strategies are solid. As an SEM, you’ll report directly to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering.
Are we singing your tune? Then keep reading. We’re just getting warmed up.
What You’ll Do
As a Software Engineer Manager at Cox Automotive, you’ll have the unique opportunity – and awesome responsibility – of crafting the vision for our products, bringing that vision to life, and then continuing to refine and enhance the products in your portfolio throughout their lifespan.
That’s just the mile-high view. What else will you get to do? Well, here are just some of your responsibilities in this transformative role:
You’ll be responsible for managing the application and API development teams that support our team members at Manheim (the world’s largest wholesale automotive marketplace), as well as other groups. You’ll lead a terrific team of software experts, while serving as a sort of engineer consultant to our Product, Business, and Operations boundary partners.
You’ll provide organizational leadership and tackle all the team-related duties, such as hiring and performance reviews. You’ll also keep a keen eye out for emerging technologies and trends that affect your industry.
You’ll work alongside other leaders (including Product Managers and Ops & Engineering Leads) to develop and maintain the roadmaps that get us where we want to be.
You’ll then use your clear, concise communication skills to share our priorities and plans with your team.
You’ll rep your team at our strategy and planning meetings, working closely with them to discover and act on new innovations and improvements to the programs we already have in place.
You’ll jump into action when production issues arise, owning the situation right on through to the solution while also developing best practices to help us avoid future issues.
You’ll keep up with the latest changes and innovations in the tech realm, sharing relevant knowledge and insights you gather with your team.
What’s In It For You?
Really good question, and we have some good answers that we hope you like.
- We want you to feel cared for and respected (like you do with our customers), and that starts with Cox’s highly competitive pay and other compensation perks (401k + company matching, comprehensive medical benefits, etc.). We also offer discounted Cox services, tuition reimbursement for academic pursuits, adoption assistance, paid time off to volunteer, childcare and eldercare resources, pet insurance and much more.
- Good work should be rewarded, and not just with a healthy paycheck. And while we may be innovation obsessed, we never forget that we are human powered. So, it’s our goal to make sure you feel recognized for your contributions. It’s also important to work alongside colleagues who “get you.” At Cox, you’ll find a workplace where relationships are crafted with care and successes are celebrated with high fives. We strive to create an environment where you can do you, and everyone from leadership to new hires can support and feel supported.
- We know you’re always looking for growth and the opportunity to learn new things. At Cox Automotive, you’ll have all kinds of opportunities to expand your expertise and grow your skills in ways that will challenge and empower you. And in the future, you may have the opportunity to drive innovation in other sectors where the Cox family of brands operates like cleantech, health care and esports.
- You’ll also get to work with a wide range of products and technologies across the Cox Automotive ecosystem, allowing you to have a hands-on experience in transforming an industry. We don’t believe in limitations, only possibilities. Our technological capabilities combined with your wisdom and wizardry will allow us to grow the good and drive incredible innovation.
- You’ll work alongside fantastic people who want to see you succeed. We know none of us is as smart as all of us, and we strive to bring out the best in everyone. Our beliefs, our ways of working and lifting each other up, our knowledge, and our commitment to people and purpose all form a cultural fabric that is remarkably flexible, but extraordinarily strong.
- You’ll quite literally have an opportunity to make the world a better place. That may sound like hyperbole, but it’s true. Across the Cox family of businesses, we’ve launched a movement to positively impact 34 million lives by 2034 in areas like technology access and education, social equity, and environmental sustainability through a wide range of company programs, partnerships and employee volunteer opportunities.
Who You Are
You bring unique talents, positive energy, and diverse experiences to every challenge you take on. You’re a person who places the highest premium on the relationships in your life (relationships with loved ones, co-workers, customers, and the communities where you live and work). Here are a few additional tidbits that describe you:
You’re an experienced software engineer, bringing 10+ years of successful software development and 3-5 years of supervisory experience to the table.
You have a Bachelor’s in Computer Science or a similar field.
You’ve got strong skills in areas like leadership, developing large-scale software systems, solving problems, conflict resolution, and teamwork.
You’re adept at managing software engineering teams, as well as helping them develop their careers.
You’re comfortable speaking on behalf of your team when discussing planning activities and understand how to take products from roadmap to release.
You’re self-motivated, a confident communicator, and always, always committed to doing the right thing.
Apply now to join the Cox family of businesses!
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What’s more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.