The Construction Planner I plans, coordinates, constructs, builds, repairs, and inspects Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) networks to provide voice, video, and data to residential and commercial customers. Coordinates with other utilities for permits, joint trench, pole applications, and service issues.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Performs field engineering of proposed projects and ensures alternative routing delivers the most cost
- Effective design for construction.
- Coordinates all customer implementation activities including site walk-throughs, node placements and subcontract labor.
- Coordinates contractor work, coordinate and/or obtains permits, access, or ROW agreements where applicable, distributes design prints and other necessary working documents. Negotiates and approves design or construction changes.
- Researches and reviews plans, gathers necessary data and listing material requirements for project.
- Coordinates with public works personnel, developers, commercial customers, building owners, and utilities on joint trench projects.
- Maintains workflow databases and updates schedules. Participates in managing and estimating (revenue) cost forecasts, material planning, capital and expense budgets.
- Estimates construction costs, prepares budgets, and tracks expenses.
- Participates in managing and estimating revenue forecasts, material planning, capital and expense budgets.
- Verifies serviceability, surveys proposed service routing, and estimates material, construction, and labor costs.
- Initiates customer contacts, coordinates and/or secures access or ROW agreements, completes route designs, and takes necessary steps to meet customer needs.
- May order materials or coordinate with administrative personnel; may verify and reconcile invoices.
- May plan and allocate fibers for splicing and activation.
- May inspect construction work or coordinate inspection assignments.
- Releases addresses as serviceable and notifies other departments of serviceability.
- As projects are completed, perform tasks to close tasks in database/tool, reconcile assets, and generate reports to ensure proper closure of project
- BA/BS with less than 2 years’ experience or 4 years of education/experience equivalency with no Degree (i.e., Construction Planning, Field Service or Network Operations) with a Telecommunications company
- Basic knowledge of the HFC Plant to include understanding of the telecom infrastructure, how service is provided; fiber to node; power supply, and trunk knowledge.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks and/or to meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
- Ability to lift minimum of 50 lbs.
- Must be self-motivated and enjoy a challenging fast paced work environment.
- Must have a clean driving record and be able to travel to different locations within the system.
- BA/BS or Technical Certification in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Telecommunications or Business)
- Experience in Construction planning to include CWS and permitting experience
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.