As a Principal Wireless Architect you will provide senior technical leadership of the core wireless engineering program at Cox. This includes direct responsibility for the innovation, design, development, and execution of the Cox wireless architecture strategy across cellular, private networking and Wi-Fi, standards.
What’s in it for you?
You will bring considerable experience, knowledge and background in wireless and network system design, relevant standards, and best practices to innovate and publish forward looking architecture definitions which are aligned with wireless networks of the future.
You’ll drive the core architecture by leveraging cloud native design paradigms to deliver a high performing flexible deployment architecture blueprint which is strategically aligned with Cox business goals.
You will own the design and implementation of significant portions of the Wireless and Convergence (Wireless and Wireline) architecture and serve as a leader and mentor for other engineers in their areas of work. You will help set the features, architecture, and best practices for the team, and have significant influence on the overall strategy.
You are a technical leader with good product acumen leveraging your technical background, strategic thinking, analytic skills and leadership prowess to successfully deliver innovative and creative solutions that meet the emerging needs of the business.
As an individual, you are naturally curious, results-driven, self-starter, who thrives in a dynamic, environment. You understand the development and innovation process often requires creative, out of the box solutions to overcome obstacles, and work well in a cross-functional team environment. You know how to strike the balance between working in the team, and being able to concentrate on individual tasks and produce results. You embrace accountability in yourself and your teammates.
What you’ll do?
You’ll be a key member of our senior Engineering team who is tasked with forging a path to a standards-based convergence platform for the company. This will require you to develop an in-depth understanding of existing and emerging standards from 3GPP, Broadband Forum, CableLabs, IEEE, and many others, which lead to convergence across wireline and wireless communications access networks. It will also require you to develop an understanding of existing implementations & their associated limitations and challenges. And finally, it will require you and your team members to identify a series of architectural design documents which detail the network migration steps and milestones, leading to the converged goal.
· Manage a comprehensive communication and reporting framework for wireless architecture trends and standards updates.
· Function as a liaison for the wireless engineering strategy with Cox business leaders, field and other Cox related engineering functions at varying management levels on necessary committees and programs.
Who you are?
· BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (e.g., electrical engineering or computer science) and 10 years of job related experience (e.g., hands-on experience in the wireless technology/engineering field with demonstrated successes). OR MS/MA degree in a related discipline with 8 years of experience in a related field; OR Ph.D. in a related discipline with 5 years of experience in a related field
· Experience with relevant 3GPP, IEEE, Wifi Alliance, WinnForum, GSMA, Wireless standards and best practices.
· Technical knowledge of a typical Mobile Service Operator, providing LTE/A and 5Gnr based services. This would include everything from provisioning through deployment within the core , the RAN, mobility, air interfaces, roaming, etc.
· Knowledge of emerging trends of 5G Service Based Architectures, vRANs, and cloud-based VNF implementations.
· Experience working in wireless & telecommunications environment with in-depth knowledge of Wireless core, RAN, vRAN, and cloud native deployment architecture.
· Proven ability leading engineering initiatives that require partnership with other technical groups, business units and industry partners.
· Proven ability developing “future proof” plans that integrate directly with product, system development lifecycles and provide flexibility to deliver on use cases that are not presently fully understood.
· Proven ability developing information security reporting mechanisms that enable informed business decisions at varying levels of management.
· Experience and understanding of public cloud offerings and best practices such as those used in AWS, Azure, Google, container-based deployments, and orchestration.
The following qualifications are preferred :
· Experience/knowledge of cloud centric deployments and cloud native NF architectures for Telco applications.
· Familiarity with DevOps and CI/CD methodology.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.