The AJC offers Fall, Spring and Summer Newsroom internships.Fall/Spring semester
These internships are part-time, offering local students a chance to earn college credit and pay.Summer session
These internships are paid, 10-week programs that are generally full-time (approximately 40 hours per week).
The AJC is looking for upper-level college students interested in pursuing a career as a reporter, database specialist, photographer or digital producer. Our interns are treated as professional journalists.
Please email internship coordinator Todd C. Duncan with questions.
You must be a rising junior, senior or graduate student. We also accept applications from those who have graduated within six months of the start of the summer internship. The AJC accepts applications from all schools and regions of the country but gives priority to applicants from Georgia or who attend school in Georgia. Roughly 80% of our interns have a local connection to the state.Digital Intern
The AJC’s digital interns will learn to cultivate and grow audiences through social media, content curation/creation, interactive development and more. Throughout the course of the internship, digital interns will have the opportunity to experiment in a variety of areas depending on their skills and interests. We are looking for two types of interns: Those skilled at writing/producing content and those familiar with interactive web development.Reporter
Reporter interns join one of the newsroom’s reporting teams, which include breaking news, enterprise reporting, business, local education and government, state politics, sports and investigations. Daily deadline writing and reporting experience is preferred. Experience shooting video, taking photos, and using other digital skills also preferred. Must have worked on the campus newspaper or website and/or had previous professional news internship.Data Reporter
We’re looking for someone with a strong news sense -- ideally a person who has already worked at one regular reporting internship -- who has a deep interest in working with data as the starting point of a story. Programming skills preferred but not required. What’s required, above all else, is a desire to work with data along with the ability to fumble through Excel and learn SQL. Knowledge of statistical packages, such as R, and mapping is a plus.Data Visualization Developer
We’re looking for someone who has solid web development and design skills, as well as a knack for making clean, clear, creative interactive graphics.
- Experience with drawing libraries like D3.js and mapping libraries like Leaflet or Google Maps API.
- Major plus: experience with a server-side scripting language such as Ruby or Python (or Node.js), or graphics experience with an eye for great design (or both!).
Send us your online portfolio or links to your work, and/or your GitHub username.Multimedia photojournalist
- Familiarity or experience with Premier Pro or similar editing software.
- Comfortable shooting video/interviewing & interacting with the public.
- Basic photography/framing skills.
- Video production experience a plus.
- A short note (no more than 300 words) on why you want to be a journalist and how an internship at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution will help you pursue your goal.
- Note the specific internship you’re interested in: digital, reporting (news or sports), data journalism or multimedia.
- Three links, PDFs, or other samples of your best work.
- References (Provide contact information for at least two).
Please upload all attachments using the resume option.Deadlines
- Fall 2023 internship applications will be accepted between May 5, 2023 to June 11, 2023 . Check back for a link to apply during this period. Internship expected to run from Labor Day (mid-September) to Winter break (mid-December).
- Summer 2024 internship applications will be accepted between Sept. 18, 2023 to Oct. 29, 2023 . Check back for a link to apply during this period. Internship expected to run from early June to mid-August.
- Spring 2024 internship applications will be accepted between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30, 2023 . Check back for a link to apply during this period. Internship expected to run from mid-January through mid/late-May.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.