The AJC’s mission is to be the most essential and engaging source of news and information for the people of Atlanta, of Georgia and the South. To achieve that mission, we will transform ourselves from a storied daily newspaper into a
modern media company.
This role will have overall responsibility for the local, national, new business and digital advertising sales revenue for the AJC and its agency arm, CoxNext. The role will set strategy and craft strategic plans for maintaining and growing revenue using the entire portfolio. The director will be responsible for tactical execution of the platform’s sales plans through its direct reports and for reinforcing a positive work environment. The position will report directly to the Chief Revenue Officer.
Sales and Digital Leadership
- Create and oversee sales plan for local, national and digital revenue to grow market share and maximize revenue for the AJC
- Augment revenue and minimize expenses through continued process optimization
- Demonstrate thought leadership internally and externally
- Monitor daily sales activity and forecast future revenue while keeping a pulse on the advertising market and adjusting the plan as needed
- Partner with other functional leaders (i.e. Content and Product) to maximize sales opportunities
- Drive new and growth business including core, digital, events, sponsorships, native and sponsored content, and revenue franchises
- Maintain strong relationship with internal partners/departments to keep sales support moving in a positive direction while increasing productivity
- Track sales progress and change accordingly as needed
- Responsible for inventory management and yield management pricing
- Grow the AJC’s percentage of direct revenue to lessen dependence on agency/transactional business
Team Execution, Development and Communication
- Oversee people responsibilities for the department, which include the definition, design and implementation of an organizational structure that focuses on the future vision of the AJC’s Sales function
- Set clear goals by salesperson and communicate goals effectively
- Communicate clear expectations and hold account executives and sales leadership accountable
- Make sales calls with sales staff as needed and provide feedback as a tool of training and development
- Create and maintain a work environment that drives execution, calculated risk-taking, teamwork, performance feedback, individual recognition, mutual respect, and employee satisfaction ensuring quality hiring, training, and succession planning processes that encompass AJC’s commitment to diversity & inclusion.
- Mentor, train and grow sales managers. Create a development plan for each sales manager by using CEI’s training resources
- Recruit, coach and develop direct reports and supervise their staff development activities. Set departmental goals and performance standards. Sets strategy for employee engagement initiatives.
- Foster open communication with employees, and clearly communicate importance of vision, direction, and priorities.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process and be financially responsible for sales operating budget
- Oversee the day-to-day systems and procedures within the sales department. This includes monitoring sales activity reports, monitoring focused sales events/initiatives, leading sales meetings, sales department workflow and support; utilize sales industry tools and action plans by area and personnel
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of experience required in Sales
- 5-7 years General Sales Manager experience with multi-media sales experience and a proven track record of success. Must possess 3+ years of recent sales leadership experience in Media
- 5+ years of experience leading teams
- Must have excellent interpersonal, oral, written, communication and presentation skills
- Data analysis and PC skills required; experience with MS Office products required.
- Ability to anticipate and identify problems and analyze strategic issues
- Demonstrate ability to influence decisions in areas outside of direct control through collaboration and teamwork.
- Highly developed ability to manage multiple projects and balance priorities in a fast-paced competitive market environment
- Strong leadership and coaching skill set
- Proven experience presenting to, collaborating with and partnering with all levels of employees with a focus on Senior Leadership interactions.
- Proven experience and results in driving change to enable teams to work more effectively.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.