Cox Communications is looking for a Senior Wireless FWA CPE Engineer to aid our Wireless Engineering team in the support and deployment of our state-of-the-art 5G NR Stand Alone networks. We are looking for engineers with insatiable thirst for new and innovative technology who will embrace projects within the Wireless Engineering team that includes the technical oversight of our FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) – ODU (Outdoor Units). Individual will be responsible for FWA device performance, technical specifications, proper connectivity to the RAN (Radio Access Network), troubleshooting, selection and upgrading of ODU’s. There are significant operational complications with the radio layer between ODU and RAN and individual needs to drive automation and innovative tools/scripts/platforms to improve the resiliency and reliability of our subscriber’s user experience and work closely with boundary partners to provide a proactive performance and reporting capability for our FWA program. The Sr. Communications – Network Engineer should have proven wireless industry expertise and knowledge in successfully driving Cox FWA CPE-ODU devices to peak performance by working in tandem with our Lead Engineers who will be accountable for engineering network oversight and will report to the Wireless Engineering Director.
- Work in tandem with Lead engineer for development and creation of automation and innovative tools, scripts, and platforms to drive proactive CPE-ODU positive customer experience and be responsible for FWA device performance, technical specifications, proper device connectivity to the RAN (Radio Access Network), troubleshooting, selection, testing and upgrading of ODU’s for FWA program that includes collaborating with internal boundary partners as well as ODU OEMs for our 5G NR SA deployments.
- Design, build, and test activities associated with new products, hardware, software, and feature/functionality within our wireless CPE ODU’s that would include the use of following platforms and tools for various unlicensed and licensed solutions: RAN, FWA-CPE, RF test / spectrum analyzer equipment, RF propagation tools, network traffic analytics, ACS (auto-configuration server), CBRS SAS vendor portal and interference mitigation tools.
- Methodically scope, troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix complex problems as required on Cox FWA network while mitigating and remediating network/device events to maximize customer experience with limiting impacts and outages.
- Replicate production issues in wireless lab environment to test fixes and to regression test new software loads/launches and subsequently author technical methods & procedures in support of boundary partner teams.
- Assess and continually improve lab methods and procedures as well as best practices and guidelines for ODU deployment and operation.
- Assess, select, build, test, and publish certified FWA CPE hardware, associated golden firmware images, and golden configurations.
- Support Wireless Engineering to identify/select any new hardware, and partner with the FWA Tech Ops Lead to ensure successful rollout completion of any quarterly updates to firmware or golden configs of CPE-ODU’s.
- Work as appropriate, to remediate any Security vulnerabilities as it relates to the CPE-ODU which are found in an expediate.
- Participate in planned maintenance activities during maintenance windows as needed.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science and a minimum 3 years of experience as a technical engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry.
- Foundational knowledge in LTE and 5G NR 3GPP standards / protocols and wireless OEM architectures.
- Network capacity/traffic planning experience.
- Foundational experience with engineering functions of large-scale service provider wireless networks and/or experience with a Wireless OEM vendor that supported its Mobile Network Operating customers with broad wireless mobility technology experience that should include LTE and 5G NR RAN networks.
- Fundamental knowledge in all packet-based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc.).
- Networking knowledge (VLAN, subnetting, IPv4 and IPv6).
- Foundational knowledge in scripting languages like shell, Python and Perl.
- PHY, L2 and L3 networking understanding
- Understanding of ACS, NMS/EMS, provisioning systems, TR-069/181, SNMP, northbound APIs
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science and 5 years of experience as a technical engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry.
- Experience with IT cloud platforms and orchestration.
- Experience with Point to Multipoint Wireless networking.
- Device management experience at a wireless operator, especially with FWA CPE-ODU’s.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.