Cox Communications is looking for a Lead Wireless Engineer, Performance Management to be an active member of our Wireless Engineering team in the support and deployment of our state-of-the-art 5G NR Stand Alone FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) networks. We are looking for a take charge engineering lead with an insatiable thirst for new and innovative technology who will lead projects within the Wireless Engineering team that includes the management of our FWA RF performance and support of Tier 4 Sustaining team. Individual will be responsible for leading a small team and be a hands-on engineer in the development and creation of automation and innovative tools/scripts/platforms to further develop a proactive RF performance and operations environment and will work closely with Tier 3 Cox Wireless Operation team members. The Lead Communications – Network Engineer should be a proven team lead with hands on experience and strong wireless industry expertise and knowledge to successfully driving Cox networks to peak performance by leading our performance engineering team. Individual will be accountable for FWA engineering network oversight and will report to the Wireless Engineering Director.
- Performance Lead engineer accountable to drive the development and creation of automation and innovative tools, scripts, and platforms in a proactive RF performance and operations environment within the Wireless Engineering team for FWA program and collaborate with internal boundary partners with network management and deployment of associated FWA towers, transport, microwave systems and 5G SA core network.
- Team lead engineer that will be accountable to direct, train and help technically develop our performance engineering team while obtaining our FWA network performance and deployment goals.
- Lead FWA design, build, and test activities associated with new products, hardware, software, and feature/functionality that would include the use of following platforms and tools for various unlicensed and licensed solutions: RAN, FWA-CPE, RF test / spectrum analyzer equipment, RF propagation tools, network traffic analytics, CBRS SAS vendor portal and interference mitigation tools.
- Methodically scope, troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix complex problems as required on Cox FWA wireless network while minimizing customer impacts and outages.
- Partner with peer Engineering team members to gain in-depth understanding of proposed changes to hardware, software or configurations and associated implications.
- Replicate production issues in wireless lab environment to test fixes and to regression test new software loads/launches and subsequently author technical methods & procedures in support of Operations team.
- Assess and continually improve lab methods and procedures.
- Partner with Operations team members to prepare low level designs, configurations and methods and procedures to gain operational perspective, including network reliability, scalability, simplicity, and standardization to ensure success through launch of the change.
- Participate in planned maintenance activities during maintenance windows as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and 6 years’ experience in as a Technical Engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry.. The right candidate could also have a different combination, such as a master’s degree and 4 years’ experience; a Ph.D. and 1 year of experience; or 18 years’ experience in a related field
- Fundamental knowledge in LTE and 5G NR 3GPP standards / protocols and wireless OEM architectures.
- Team engineering lead experience.
- Network capacity/traffic planning experience.
- Foundational experience in performance management with operating of large-scale service provider wireless networks and/or experience with a Wireless OEM vendor that supported its Mobile Network Operating customers with broad wireless mobility technology experience that should include LTE and 5G NR RAN networks.
- Background in network performance management of wireless networks responsible for improvement and maintenance of network KPI’s through data analysis, RF testing and fault isolation.
- Knowledge in Network Monitoring Systems and Device/Network Management Systems, like SNMP, etc.
- Fundamental knowledge in all packet-based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc.).
- Networking knowledge (VLAN, subnetting, IPv4 and IPv6).
- Foundational knowledge in scripting languages like shell, Python and Perl.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science and 8 years of experience as a technical engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry.
- Strong Ericsson or Nokia RAN experience preferred.
- Experience with IT cloud platforms and orchestration.
- Familiarity with simulation tools such as Spirent Landslide platform.
- Knowledge in DOCSIS access and provisioning technologies.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.