All Media Journalist: Digital-first arts, entertainment & culture
Dayton Daily News and Dayton.com is seeking a part-time digital media reporter and content creator to cover Lifestyles, entertainment and culture.
This part-time reporter would be responsible for covering the events, organizations and people that make up the arts/entertainment and cultural scene in the Dayton area, including their creative activities, funding, leadership, and other newsworthy changes.
The reporter will use text, photography, video, maps, graphics and other tools to report on Lifestyles and entertainment. Their work would be primarily for Dayton Daily News and Dayton.com, but available to all Cox First Media platforms, and would include creation of articles and other written content such as lists and “snackables,” photos, videos, and digital interactives.
The ideal candidate must be a self-starter who plans content driven by community impact and importance, metrics, and audience consumption needs.
The successful candidate should be dogged, organized, self-directed and analytical. They will work alone and at times in teams and will be expected to contribute significantly to solving problems and creating excellent coverage.
This position does not involve managing people. It does involve working in collaboration with other content team members.
Important Note : This is a part-time position projected to work between 25-29 hours per week.
Content Creation – 70%
- Generate impactful story ideas for digital first, using digital storytelling skills, visual editing software, and other tools to create photos, photo galleries, digital videos, graphics, maps and more.
- Have a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get the best, most complete content for readers, and uses audience data provided by the company to drive decision-making.
- Develop and nurture sources, building relationships that result in unique content ideas our competition will not have.
- Report from news events independently, including evenings and weekends if necessary.
- Generate clean, concise copy written in AP Style.
- Generate work that is balanced, fair, complete, in-depth and dependable, incorporating a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact or judgment and should not include any issues of bias.
Content Optimization, Distribution and Evaluation – 30%
- Work in a digital content management system (CMS) to publish and optimize content for a digital audience.
- Use SEO best practices to expand content reach and audience exposure.
- Use social media and other digital platforms to publish content; expand content reach and audience exposure; to build the Dayton.com and Dayton Daily News brand; and to engage with sources, readers and the community-at-large.
- Use digital analytical tools to analyze content performance, and inform decisions about what to cover and how to present it for maximum reach and engagement online.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Journalism, Communications, or related field.
- Education and experience in digital news production preferred.
- One year or more of daily news content creation or related experience preferred. Experience with a weekly news product will be considered.
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license.
- Has demonstrated record of working in a newsroom or other media environment.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.