The Senior Release Train Engineer’s (RTE) primary purpose is to lead Agile Release Trains (ART) to success and navigate the complexity of delivering software consistently in large environments The Lead RTE resolves and escalates impediments, manages risk, assures value delivery, and drives program level continuous improvement. They play a critical link between multiple scrum teams; facilitating communications, opening the flow of information, and sharing important progress updates to ensure all teams involved in the ART are focused on successful delivery. The Lead RTE is accountable for the overall coordination, execution, and delivery of value through the program while ensuring alignment with company strategy, commitments, and goals.
At Cox Automotive, we offer the chance to take an important role in the digital revolution of the automotive industry. Our Lead Release Train Engineer’s (RTE) are part of an energetic team that build world-class solutions to benefit the auto buying public, dealers and manufacturers. At Cox Automotive, you’ll be immersed in an environment that values your teamwork and creative problem-solving techniques while encouraging you to continue to learn new skills and technologies.
Risk-taking is encouraged here and we reward great results. Collaboration and support are woven into the fabric of everything we do; from 24-hour Hackathons and brain-storming sessions to sprint reviews, you’ll be immersed in an environment that encourages bringing fresh ideas to the table with an innovative mindset.
Giving back to the community is important at Cox Automotive. You will be given time during working hours to volunteer at local charities.
- Facilitate the coordinated preparation of release planning for the release train, including communication and coordination with stakeholders and customers during Epic and feature definition and delivery.
- Manage changes to planning commitments and the impacts of those changes
- Actively manage the backlog, as well as ALM tool data integrity for accurate reporting. This includes the collection of metrics and KPI’s.
- Drive continuous improvement through the facilitation of retrospectives quarterly, or more often as needed, to improve backlog management, release train reviews, sprint reviews, or release train coordination and higher-level function.
- Coordinate major feature releases and ongoing delivery of value to customers where multiple teams, release trains, or solution groups are involved in development
- Resolve/report issues and manage dependencies and risks across the ART and between ART’s.
- Leverage agile delivery metrics and regular Agile ceremonies to identify and drive continuous improvement, in order to maximize organizational performance and execution against the backlog
- Drive collaboration with director level product, engineering and architecture
- Coach scrum masters to continually improve how the teams are contributing to train level goals and observes scrum masters to improve that specific discipline
- Facilitate the flow of Epics and features between release trains leadership and teams
- Drives ownership of value stream driven dependencies (driving overlapping sequencing of delivery)
- Manages risks that cannot be eliminated with coordination and status communication.
- Drive delivery while supporting transformation efforts, coaching on transformation & strategy execution
- Actively participate in the RTE Community of Practice helping the organization to maintain alignment, learn new techniques, and improve technical and quality practices. Work with RTE community to determine ways to help ARTs across the company improve cross train and solution group coordination and collaboration.
- Use metrics to pinpoint areas in the release train that need attention relative to day-to-day productivity
- May manage up to 3 Scrum Masters
- Influence the behavior of 60+ people; drive execution and consistent practices within their train core and down to delivery teams
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years experience; or 9 years equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education
- Must understand the difference between “being Agile” and “doing Agile”
- Can demonstrate the comprehension of a lean-Agile mindset and practices with the ability to develop others in this area
- Servant leader and communicator with strong interpersonal skills who can:
- Facilitate effective discussions of any size across all levels of the organization
- Listen and support teams in problem-identification and decision making
- Communicate in an open, honest, and direct manner
- Encourage an environment that values mutual respect, openness, and courage
- Persuade by influence rather than authority
- Understand and empathize with others
- Think beyond day-to-day activities
- Support teams’ commitments and continuous growth
- Empower teams to be owners of their products and processes
- Strong technical aptitude and experience leading teams in delivering quality software
- Experience applying Lean Thinking and Systems Thinking in large organizations
- Experience with Lean Portfolio Management facilitation for program, portfolio, or executive-level
- Experience working in an Agile organization using Scrum, XP, Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), or other scaling models
- Prior experience as a Release Train Engineer (RTE), Value Stream Engineer (VSE), Scrum Master, Project or Program Manager
- Advanced degree in industry-related subject
- Agile Certification (CSM, PSM, or PMI-ACP)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- SAFe Agilist (SA) or other SAFe certifications
To be employed in this role, you'll need to clear a pre-employment drug test. Cox Automotive does not currently administer a pre-employment drug test for marijuana for this position. However, we are a drug-free workplace, so the possession, use or being under the influence of drugs illegal under federal or state law during work hours, on company property and/or in company vehicles is prohibited.
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What’s more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.