Do you have a passion for the environment and desire to keep the planet beautiful? At Cox Enterprises, we have a team that is dedicated to sustainability, because the best way to keep the earth beautiful is to keep it green.
That’s why we are in search of a Senior Engineer. This Engineer will manage the design, development, modification and deployment of new and existing projects that directly affect facilities electrical/mechanical infrastructure. They will also lead the M&V program for Cox’s sustainability projects.
So, if you'd like to make your living making a difference for the planet, keep reading. You may have just unearthed an environmentally excellent opportunity.
What You’ll Do
The Senior Engineer will manage the design and implementation of all projects directly affecting facilities infrastructure or capacity by developing/managing budgets, managing design/procurement, assist with contractor selection and installation, and work with utilities to determine any infrastructure upgrade requirements. This will include but not be limited to the installation of Electric Vehicle (EV) chargers, emergency backup generators and UPS(Uninterrupted Power Supply) systems.
The Senior Engineer will manage and make improvements to the M&V program for Cox’s carbon and water reduction efforts with a forecast of $300MM in investments over the next decade. The program will provide feedback on operational performance of projects to ensure an accurate account of energy/water reductions, economic savings, and that the project is performing as designed. This will ensure credible auditability for achievement of the Cox Conserves.
Applicant must be able to independently manage these projects. Key work areas for this role include: project/process development, financial modeling, budgeting, assist with contractor selection and installation, contract negotiations, construction, operation, management, monitoring infrastructure assets, modifications, periodic inspections, preventive maintenance, corrective action, failure analysis, measurement and tracking. Your duties for this position will include:
- Manage the design, development, modification and deployment of new and existing projects that directly affect facilities infrastructure or capacity, such as Generators, UPS systems, lightning protection systems and EV Chargers.
- Perform analysis and recommend solutions to maintain a reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs.
- Have an understanding of kW vs kWh.
- Perform Utility Rate Analysis to determine applicable rates.
- Prepare specifications, design-bid documentation, and construction estimates.
- Identifies, understand and plan for organizational and human impacts of systems.
- Ensure business requirements are documented and integrated with existing processes and services.
- Develop and maintain EV Charger design/installation process.
- Prepare project cost estimates, justifications, requirements, alternative solutions, and technical recommendations.
- Work directly with utilities to ensure capacity is available for project implementation.
- Consult with facility leadership for overall facility analysis.
- Develop processes to mitigate safety and failure concerns.
- Conduct facilities mechanical and electrical infrastructure inspections.
- Evaluate infrastructure design for preventive maintenance opportunities and regulatory requirements.
- Perform root cause analysis which includes detailed analytics to assist in remediation and elimination of complex problems.
- Report findings and recommendations from facilities inspections.
- Perform technical due diligence processes.
- Perform on-site and field observations gathering energy data, water data and analyzing operations for use in driving new projects.
- Develop, Implement and Manage standard procedures to perform M&V for all capital projects.
- Ensure Cox Conserves projects are performing as modeled.
- Evaluate project results in terms of energy usage, conservation measure, cost effectiveness, etc.
- Make recommendations for monitoring equipment as necessary.
- Ensure Cox Conserves carbon and water reduction efforts are auditable.
- Consult with project managers to better understand projects.
- Report feedback on operation performance of projects based on project M&V.
- Prepare reports/presentations.
What's In It for You?
Really good question, and we have some good answers that we hope you like.
We want you to feel cared for and respected (like you do with our customers), and that starts with Cox's highly competitive pay plus other compensation perks (401k + company matching, comprehensive medical benefits, etc.). We also offer discounted Cox services, tuition reimbursement for academic pursuits, adoption assistance, paid time off to volunteer, childcare and eldercare resources, pet insurance and much more.
Good work should be rewarded, and not just with a healthy paycheck. The Cox culture is one that values people more than technology, so its our goal to make sure you feel recognized for your contributions. Its also important to work alongside colleagues who get you. At Cox, you'll find a workplace where relationships are crafted with care and successes are celebrated with high fives. We strive to create an environment where you can do you, and everyone from leadership to new hires can support and feel supported.
Growth is a good thing, and you'll have opportunities to learn and train so you can sharpen your skills and explore opportunities across the Cox family of businesses that will continue to challenge and empower you. In the future, you may have the opportunity to cultivate customer relationships in other sectors where we operate like cleantech, health care and new forms of transportation mobility.
Who You Are
First and foremost, you're passionate about making a difference with the work you do. But when it comes to what makes you unique, that's just a starting point. You've got a special entrepreneurial spirit, and you love to get out in front of an opportunity. You're equally adept at getting others on board with a great idea, probably because of your strong negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills. You're a powerhouse problem solver who knows how to delegate and prioritize to get things done. You love working with others, and those you collaborate with find you to be friendly and approachable.
For this role, well welcome all of those amazing qualities of yours, and hope you have a few more to bring along as well. For this particular job, the following qualifications are a must:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 4+ years engineering project related experience
- electrical infrastructure related experience
- Experience with energy and water conservation projects
- Skilled in identifying important elements of the project and taking steps to avoid potential problems
- Results-oriented with demonstrated ability to manage resources to deliver projects on-time and on-budget
- Effective team and leadership skills with ability to establish cooperative team environments
- Analytical skills to evaluate data and make decisions
- Able to lead root cause analysis investigations
- Aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in high pressure situations
- Ability to read and understand electrical single-line and three-line diagrams / schematics
- Ability to read and understand mechanical, structural and architectural diagrams
- Ability to move and manipulate up to 50 lbs.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office software, and Excel in particular
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Computer proficiency, including all MS Office programs
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to manage subcontractors and vendors
While not a must, we would love it if you could check a few of the following boxes as well:
- Experience with Electrical Infrastructure, including DC systems, AC medium voltage systems
- Experience with EV Charger installations
- Experience with Project Measurement and Verification
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) and standard practices
Travel: Up to 30% travel may be required
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.