The Software Test Engineer is responsible for developing automated testing strategies and implementing them in industry standard testing frameworks. The Software Test Engineer provides testing automated testing expertise and oversight and also plays a role in providing advice and guidance and monitoring emerging technologies.
Works under broad direction. Work is often self-initiated. Is fully responsible for meeting allocated objectives. Establishes milestones and has a significant role in the assignment of tasks and/or responsibilities.
Influences organization, customers, suppliers, partners and peers on the contribution of own specialism. Builds appropriate and effective business relationships. Makes decisions which impact the success of assigned work, i.e. results, deadlines and budget. Has significant influence over the allocation and management of resources appropriate to given assignments.
Performs an extensive range and variety of complex technical and/or professional work activities. Undertakes work which requires the application of fundamental principles in a wide and often unpredictable range of contexts. Understands the relationship between own specialism and wider customer/organizational requirements.
Advises on the available standards, methods, tools and applications relevant to own specialism and can make appropriate choices from alternatives. Analyses, designs, plans, executes and evaluates work to time, cost and quality targets. Assesses and evaluates risk. Communicates effectively, both formally and informally. Demonstrates leadership. Facilitates collaboration between stakeholders who have diverse objectives. Takes all requirements into account when making proposals. Takes initiative to keep skills up to date. Mentors colleagues. Maintains an awareness of developments in the industry. Analyses requirements and advises on scope and options for continuous operational improvement. Demonstrates creativity, innovation and ethical thinking in applying solutions for the benefit of the customer/stakeholder.
- ·Understands the challenges that delivery and operations teams face in their day-to-day work and partner with them to design viable solutions.
- Recommends improvements to testing processes, technology, and interfaces that improve the effectiveness of testing teams and reduce technical debt.
- Owns the testing automation strategy, test data management strategy, and test automation framework architecture.
- Develops new or maintains existing test automation frameworks for all applications that automation currently supports.
- Writes, debugs and executes code used in automated testing efforts.
- Coordinates regression test automation activities across supported applications.
- Defines, implements, and manages processes and “best practices” with regard to automated testing.
- Establishes processes to continually review and select manual test cases for automation test suites.
- Provides metrics on business process and code coverage for automated test suites.
- Presents test results to stakeholders.
- Partners with feature developers and other automation engineers to build the tools and infrastructure to ensure production code is thoroughly tested to the highest standards.
- Provides ongoing support, monitoring, and maintenance of deployed products.
Advice and Guidance
- Actively works with less experienced software test engineers providing technical guidance and oversight.
Emergency Technology Monitoring
- Actively participates in the engineering community, staying up to date on new testing technologies and best practices and shares insights with others in the organization.
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education
- Working experience in software development and/or testing
- Working experience in automated testing frameworks
- Working experience with software test tools and processes, building and testing frameworks, and consumer-facing applications and databases
- Working experience with regulatory standards testing processes.
- Working experience of scripting and configuration tools
- Working knowledge of delivering products in an engineering, operations, or release role
- Working knowledge of development lifecycle methodologies (e.g. waterfall, agile, iterative)
- Working knowledge in analysis, design and programming
- Writes, debugs and executes code used in performance testing efforts.
- Plans approach and test strategy for performance testing and benchmarking.
- Maintains existing scripts for the purpose of reusability and performance regression testing.
- Analyzes test results to identify issues, and works with architects and developers to suggest improvements and drive issues to resolution.
- Conducts performance tests, analyses and presents test results, metrics and drives issues to resolution.
- Builds repository of historical performance runs for the purpose of plotting trends over time.
- Evangelizes the benefits of performance testing; providing demos and industry presentations.
To be employed in this role, you'll need to clear a pre-employment drug test. Cox Automotive does not currently administer a pre-employment drug test for marijuana for this position. However, we are a drug-free workplace, so the possession, use or being under the influence of drugs illegal under federal or state law during work hours, on company property and/or in company vehicles is prohibited.
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What’s more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.