Community Relations – 40%
- Coordinates philanthropic efforts and charitable giving activities. Develops and implements programs that positively impact the community and reflect well on the company.
- Acts as a liaison between Cox and nonprofit organizations and school administrators to evaluate whether the organization’s needs fit under Cox’s pillars and priorities.
- Responsible for supporting company and regional digital equity priorities in the Santa Barbara market. Identifies program and partner opportunities, coordinates, and attends connection events, and tracks and shares program success.
- Organizes local involvement – volunteerism, financial support, advocacy – in broad company initiatives including but not limited to youth and education, technology, diversity and inclusion, and conservation and sustainability, keeping close record of impact within the market.
- Leads Cox Charities Foundation programs and initiatives, including board meetings, membership drives, nonprofit grant program and other Foundation initiatives. Facilitates Foundation and employee meetings. Assists in the daily management of Cox Charities website and is responsible for managing Foundation’s Santa Barbara budget.
- Responds to grant requests from nonprofit organizations and manages follow-up communications. Serves as a point of contact with customers, public & internal business partners inquiring about sponsorships and community programs.
- Assists with organization and execution of employee volunteer opportunities and donation programs; coordinates employee involvement on nonprofit community Boards of Directors.
- Writes, edits, and develops a variety of print and electronic communications to promote and support Cox's community relations and educational activities.
- May coordinate events and activities that celebrate diversity in the community and support Cox’s positions on inclusion and diversity of employees, vendors and community partners.
- Represents the company at public, social, and business gatherings. May include public speaking opportunities.
- Coordinates the monthly cross-channel public service announcement inventory and schedule and works with internal and external partners to maximize the asset opportunity.
- Collects and maintains data of annual charitable giving; maintains and updates database of all community leaders and partners.
Government Affairs– 30%
- Acts as a liaison between Cox, cities, county, chambers, and community and private-sector partners to assess the organization's needs and match Cox's resources to those needs.
- Prepares elected briefing materials for senior leadership including Santa Barbara Market Vice President.
- Supports special projects, as needed, with local jurisdictions.
- Supports local, state, and national government affairs initiatives to protect the company from legislative/regulatory risks and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Responsible for Santa Barbara efforts to meet FCC compliance on Public Inspection Files and serves as a contact for the Public Inspection Files.
Communications Support – 20%
- Assists with external communications activities, including talking points, social media copy, and media advisories and press releases in connection with community relations and government affairs programming; helps support a positive company image as a strong community partner; supports the company's business goals; and showcases/raises awareness of Cox's residential and commercial products and services.
- Provides messaging to market leadership for internal communication as it relates to Public and Government Affairs initiatives.
Special Project/Event Management - 10%
- Oversees various special project plans in support of all functions across the West region, maintains project organization, keeps projects on task and adheres to deadlines.
- Collaborates on departmental reporting and analysis and recommends improvements based on data.
- Various other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years of experience required in related field (i.e., Public Affairs, Community Relations, Government Affairs, Project Management etc.)
- Demonstrated history of civic or community involvement
- Requires expert knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Strong skills in desktop publishing, presentation, and design tools, including Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, presentation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout the organization
- Collaborative team member; solutions-oriented problem solver
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (be prepared to share writing samples)
- Organizational skills and attention-to-detail required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a region-wide, cross-functional team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-change environment
- Requires flexible schedule to attend meetings/events in mornings, evenings and some weekends.
- Must have a clean driving record and be able to travel within the system.
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Marketing, Business, Communications, etc.)
- Spanish speaking preferred
- Photography/ Video editing experience
Compensation includes a base salary of $69,400.00 - $104,200.00. The salary rate may vary within the anticipated range based on factors such as the ultimate location of the position and the selected candidate's experience. Position may be eligible for additional compensation that may include an incentive program.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.