The Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun, Journal-News and Dayton.com media brands, which are part of Cox First Media, have openings for internship positions for summer 2024.
The work is located in southwest Ohio and will be based out of one of our three newsrooms - Dayton, Springfield or Hamilton. Work assignments will be determined after final selection based on the intern's abilities and stated interests and newsroom needs.
Each paid internship is approximately 20 hours per week for 10 weeks. The exact start and stop dates, as well as the intern’s weekly schedule, will be determined before the internship begins based on the intern’s needs and company needs.
Assignments may include but are not limited to:
- Producing multiple stories per week in a fast-paced environment. They will be assigned to an editor who will guide their assignments and provide coaching and training about approaching their stories.
- Creating and delivering digital content, which could include digital stories focused on speed and accuracy.
- Producing photos and videos to help tell your own stories or in collaboration with other content producers.
- Promoting our content through social media, website placement and email newsletters.
- Working with other parts of our operation for exposure to our business, including marketing.
Attributes we seek:
- Learn and be curious.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Reliable in communication with your manager.
- Focus on audience wants and desires in work you produce.
- Currently enrolled in a related degree program such as journalism or communications.
- Interested in pursuing a career in journalism or communications.
- Have a valid driver's license and access to transportation to get to assignments if necessary.
Preferred qualifications: One or more of the following:
- Experience in working for a student or professional media outlet or other relevant communication work.
- Experience in using metrics to guide content decisions.
- Experience using social media or other methods to reach digital audiences
- Understanding of planning and executing content ideas quickly.
Our organization is in a hybrid work environment with a mix of working from home and working in the office. We expect our interns to be able to come into the office or go out on assignments in our coverage areas as needed.
About Cox First Media
Cox First Media publishes the Dayton Daily News, Dayton.com, Springfield News-Sun, Journal-News in Butler County and affiliated news and advertising products.
The Dayton Daily News is the birthplace of Cox Enterprises, which owns Cox First Media. Since 1898, the company has been committed to making the region stronger through local journalism and helping local businesses succeed.
On Aug. 15, 1898, James M. Cox purchased the Dayton Evening News. One week later, he renamed it the Dayton Daily News. The paper has been a Cox Enterprises company since the very beginning.
Today, Cox Enterprises is a global company based in Atlanta with 50,000 employees and $20 billion in revenue. Cox remains a values-driven private corporation that can invest in long-term growth and is proud of its four-generation family leadership.
The Cox Enterprises main values include:
- Commitment to employees and diversity
- New technology and business opportunities
- Providing value to our customers
- A better community and a better world
Dayton Daily News
The Dayton Daily News is the main local news source for the nine-county region including Butler, Champaign, Clark, Darke, Greene, Miami, Montgomery, Preble and Warren counties.
The Journal-News is the main local news source for Butler County, focusing on coverage of Hamilton, Middletown, Fairfield, West Chester Twp. and Liberty Twp.
The Springfield News-Sun is the main local news source for Clark and Champaign counties, focusing on coverage of Springfield and the surrounding communities.
Dayton.com is a digital-only brand focusing on culture, the arts, dining, drinking and lifestyles in Dayton and the surrounding areas.
Intern/Co-Op sessions are considered temporary employment. No full-time employment commitments are made. However, depending on our business needs, some interns may be considered for a full-time position following the conclusion of the session conditioned upon the intern graduating from their academic program and being available to commence full-time employment at a specified time.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.