The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a leading metro news organization with a rich journalism history, seeks an Executive Producer, Digital Video. The AJC’s mission is to be the most essential and engaging source of news and information for the people of Atlanta, of Georgia and the South. To achieve that mission, we will transform ourselves from a storied daily newspaper into a modern media company. A place where reporters, videographers, and digital gurus are delivering work across diverse creative platforms, industries, and borders.
The Executive Producer will be responsible for building and leading a team in the creation and execution of AJC’s strategic vision for video journalism across all platforms. The EP will be responsible for setting the creative direction, maintaining the tone and voice of the AJC, overseeing video output, and delivering on key performance metrics. The ideal candidate will have experience in both quick turn videos and feature content and is a voracious consumer of news and digital videos in its many forms. A background in journalism and storytelling is a must.
An understanding of audience behavior and an ability to drive engaging digital programming is essential to the success of this role. This candidate will report to the Head of Video and Audio and will provide leadership, management, and direction to a large team as well as hands-on editorial and production guidance. This role requires someone who is innovative, self-motivated, well-organized and an effective communicator.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution serves a growing, vibrant, and diverse metro area in one of the country’s most influential states, both politically and culturally. If you believe in the power of journalism to shape a better society, and you want to join a mission-driven team, please apply.
Please note: This person must be based in Atlanta, GA.
In this position you will:
- Build and lead teams of senior producers, producers and editors in the creation of quick turn and short-form videos, weekly pre-taped shows, long-form series, and live studio specials.
- Manage and motivate teams of creative journalists and video producers to pitch and execute original ideas, try new formats, and produce impactful and engaging storytelling and journalism.
- Build team workflows and calendars that ensure a timely delivery and seamless production from the conception of an idea to its publish; work with operations managers to ensure efficient post-production processes and asset management.
- Be accountable for video budgets, ensuring all assets are produced and delivered within cost.
- Create and develop original projects for potential sponsorship opportunities; take cost and potential ROI into account, ensuring the financial integrity of short- and long-term planning.
- Lead and inform the evolution of video OKRs that ladder up into the larger company strategy.
- Be accountable for growing KPIs associated with the performance of video including increased video traffic, video starts, distribution volume, etc.
- Recommend strategic direction for on-platform digital video that aligns with overall video goals.
- Develop and inform AJC’s off-platform video strategy, including programming and distribution on YouTube; identify additional monetization strategies.
- Analyze and interpret audience behavior and metrics data to enhance and evolve editorial and programming decisions.
- Showcase willingness to try new creative ideas, evolve workflows and iterate production.
- Work with reporters and producers on story ideas, story threads, direction, and scripting.
- Work with on-camera talent on best practices, on-air personas, and assignments.
- Coordinate news coverage by working closely with the newsroom; build effective relationships to bring AJC’s reporting, archive, and planning to life in video form.
- Build cross-functional relationships across the larger organization, especially with key stakeholder groups like Product, Growth, and Revenue teams.
- Ensure compliance with legal and ethical standards in news reporting including copyright laws, privacy regulations, and journalistic ethics; enforce AJC standards across all video formats and platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of experience in digital video, Master’s degree with at least 8 years of experience, Ph.D. with at least 5 years of experience or a minimum of 14 years of experience in digital video without a degree.
- Must have at least 5 years in a leadership or people leader role.
- Prior experience initiating and managing a team through change.
- Deep understanding of video production and operational needs for live, field, and studio work.
- Proven ability to oversee breaking news coverage from a video perspective.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing a social distribution strategy, especially on YouTube.
- Ability to oversee content management systems and digital publishing platforms.
- Understanding of cine cameras and linear editing software
- In-depth knowledge of journalistic ethics and documentary best practices.
- Demonstrated experience working with on-camera talent.
- Strong communication and team-building skills.
- Ability to lead others who work independently and/or collaboratively.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours and/or holidays and weekends as dictated by the news cycle and/or business.
- Some travel may be required.
Preferred Experience in:
- News and/or journalistic environment
- Breaking news environment
- Subscription organization of which video was a part of the offering and played a role in the funnel.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.