The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a leading metro news organization with a rich journalism history, seeks an Executive Producer of Audio/Podcasts.
The Executive Producer will be responsible for leading a team of producers, journalists and talent in the execution of AJC’s strategic vision for audio podcasts across all platforms. The EP will be responsible for the production and output of audio features and series by partnering with editorial leaders from across the AJC’s coverage areas to generate new story ideas, and working with product and growth teams to ensure we are delivering on key performance metrics. The ideal candidate will have a track record of editorial leadership, decisiveness, and clear communication.
An ability to mentor and empower our audio journalists to do their best, most creative work under tight deadlines will be critical in this role. This candidate will report to the Head of Video and Audio and will provide leadership, management, and direction to their team as well as hands-on editorial and production guidance. A successful candidate will demonstrate an eagerness to move fast, experiment, and find smart ways to raise the bar for audio journalism at the AJC.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution serves a growing, vibrant, and diverse metro area in one of the country’s most influential states, both politically and culturally. If you believe in the power of journalism to shape a better society, and you want to join a mission-driven team, please apply.
Please note: This person must be based in Atlanta, GA.
In this position you will:
- Manage a team of audio producers, digital journalists and hosts to produce daily, weekly, and short-run news, analysis and feature podcasts, along with compelling, deeply reported narrative series.
- Encourage the audio team to pitch and execute original ideas, try new formats, and produce impactful and engaging storytelling and journalism.
- Build production workflows to ensure the team works creatively and consistently within tight deadlines.
- Work with the Head of Video to develop and regularly evaluate audio content strategy for the AJC across platforms and formats.
- Inform deal structures, contracts, marketing & distribution strategy, and talent negotiations.
- Oversee the end-to-end execution of the AJC podcast slate.
- Pitch and pilot new and original ideas for timely and relevant audio programming on a regular basis.
- Partner with editorial leaders from across the AJC’s coverage areas to generate new story ideas and set long term coverage priorities.
- Work collaboratively with product, growth, and revenue leaders to help build best practices for audio presentations and to fulfill our strategic growth objectives for audio across all platforms.
- Coordinate with audio platforms and vendors, proactively taking necessary steps to ensure timely and uninterrupted distribution of AJC audio content.
- Collaborate with data and business intelligence teams to set audience targets and develop strategic growth initiatives.
- Define how the AJC’s mission and values are achieved through audio across coverage areas and beats, working with internal leaders to understand how to best serve our passionate and loyal community.
- Regularly assess and improve the KPIs of audio content, prioritizing between goals and tradeoffs around quality, output, and engagement.
- Ensure compliance with legal and ethical standards in news reporting including copyright laws, privacy regulations, and journalistic ethics; enforce AJC standards across all video formats and platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of experience in audio/podcast production. With master’s degree, at least 8 years of experience; with Ph.D. at least 5 years of experience; with no degree, must have a minimum of 14 years of experience in audio production.
- Must have at least 5 years in a leadership or people leader role.
- Proactive and entrepreneurial spirit; encouraging of new ideas and taking chances.
- A passion for innovation and experience managing weekly production in a news organization.
- Demonstrated experience producing compelling audio programs under tight deadlines.
- Passion for developing new audio concepts and re-evaluating current offerings to elevate production.
- Proficiency in audio editing, mixing, and mastering.
- Demonstrated experience producing talent and managing hosts and guests.
- Professional experience writing, reviewing, and elevating scripts and communicating constructive feedback.
- Deep understanding of audio industry and domestic and international news, pop culture, tech and politics
- Full knowledge of and experience with distribution and ad-serving providers
- In-depth knowledge of journalistic ethics and documentary best practices.
- Strong communication and team-building skills.
- Ability to lead others who work independently and/or collaboratively.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours and/or holidays and weekends as dictated by the news cycle and/or business.
- Some travel may be required.
Preferred experience in one or more of the following:
- News and/or journalistic environment
- Breaking news environment
- Subscription organization of which audio was a part of the offering and played a role in the funnel.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.