Principal Data Architect – Enterprise Data Enablement
About the Opportunity
Do you live and breathe data? Does your mind constantly seek new use cases powered by data? Can your strengths help organizations discover untapped or underutilized data and build performant and measurably valuable data sets? Are you one of those rare technologists with the business acumen, consultative communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills to help guide data and analytics teams in developing data and analytics pipelines to deliver data products and analytic systems? Do you hate waste? If so, you’ll love this challenge.
You will work within the Enterprise Data Portfolio architecture team to help shape the future of data at Cox Auto through establishing enterprise-wide data architecture development and practices, and periodically acting as an advisor for CAI Solution Sets to help improve data availability and utilization across Cox Automotive, by leveraging the Cox Automotive Data Platform, the Cox Automotive Data Marketplace, and other Cox Automotive Data Solutions products. Initiatives will include development and enhancement of frameworks to support data warehousing initiatives for BI and reporting, data product development, and data asset creation for enterprise use. Your primary solution area will be business intelligence and operational reporting, but that will often bleed into activation through real-time analytics. You will also partner with the broader architecture organization to help establish patterns, conventions, and best practices, as well as provide guidance on technology decisions to maximize enterprise-wide benefits. This role demands effective stakeholder management and influence to help drive solutions development spanning several teams and organizations. You will also be expected to act as a liaison for the Solution Sets and Cox Automotive Data Solutions to provide requirements for enhancing the data marketplace and platform and other CADS products and services.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Collaborate with Data Enablement peers and other architects and engineering leaders to establish an enterprise data architecture.
- Act as a thought leader and subject matter expert on decision support and other business intelligence systems and their architecture for the enterprise.
- Help define enterprise standards and best practices for data and analytics management and development, including data and metadata design, architectural and design patterns, tooling, etc.
- Develop frameworks to identify skill and resource gaps within Solution Sets and make recommendations to close gaps.
- Drive data & analytic solutions architecture development collaboratively with Solution Sets.
- Ensure alignment to enterprise standards and leverage of enterprise capabilities.
- Assist in cost assessments and recommend pragmatic approaches, balancing timelines with iterative cost optimization.
- Negotiate solutions between parties effectively and for the best of Cox Automotive; be autonomous and make decisions without oversight when appropriate.
- Provide thought leadership to teams on leading edge data solutions to advance Cox Auto’s data capabilities.
- Breadth of knowledge across the following architecture domains, with depth in business and information architecture and design: data, application, technical, security
- Breadth of technical experience and knowledge, with depth in Data Engineering (data exchange, data processing, and data delivery), Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and two or more of the following areas: Data Governance, Data Management, DevOps, Data Science, Product Development
- An intimate understanding of big data processing, data integration, real-time analytics, data and analytic product development, data security, data governance, metadata management
- Highly analytical and can dive technically deep to rapidly deliver proof-of-concepts and perform experimentation
- Deep understanding of the architecture of enterprise-scale data processing systems, distributed systems, and cloud computing platforms
- Experience working in a consultative manner with internal and external customers
- Deep expertise in modeling, designing, and implementing enterprise data warehouses (preferably on a lake house architecture) leveraging data vault 2.0 (preferred) or other methodologies (Inmon, Kimball)
- Experience developing software using one or more programming languages (Java, Scala, Python, etc.)
- Experience automating data and analytics processes, including automated versioning, deployment, and testing of data and information assets.
- Working experience developing reports and dashboards, especially using tools such as MicroStrategy, Tableau, Power BI, or Looker
- Experience working within DevOps/DataOps cultures and frameworks, with a focus on process inefficiency identification, decomposition, automation, and continuous improvement
- Ability to frame technical or architectural alternatives in business terms, clearly articulating both business and technical implications of various options.
Nice to Have:
- Experience as a practicing data scientist or statistician
- Recent experience designing and building data products
- Experience executing lean data management and process improvement
Experience in mergers & acquisitions and rationalization of data systems therein
To be employed in this role, you'll need to clear a pre-employment drug test. Cox Automotive does not currently administer a pre-employment drug test for marijuana for this position. However, we are a drug-free workplace, so the possession, use or being under the influence of drugs illegal under federal or state law during work hours, on company property and/or in company vehicles is prohibited.
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What’s more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.