- Lead a team of 15+ technicians, provide leadership and guidance to deliver company results.
- Meet one-on-one with direct reports to provide coaching and mentoring and help them find solutions.
- Retrieve, review and monitor metrics, reports, process documentation, customer service logs, and/or training or safety records as needed to analyze team productivity reports and follow up with technicians as necessary to make recommended changes to improve maintenance and repair efficiency.
- Travel to technician and customer locations frequently.
- Participate in and/or lead regular meetings with market team members across various organizational functions, such as dispatch, parts, billing, etc.
- Monitor operations to ensure that technicians comply with administrative and DOT policies and procedures, safety rules and regulations, applicable environmental and/or government regulations, and work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational standards and requirements.
- Perform onboarding activities for technicians, such as requesting equipment or tools and company-issued service truck, completing all forms of new hire documentation, and/or providing access to various company systems to ensure all have resources, tools, and equipment they need to complete their work safely and effectively.
- Regularly conduct safety audits and Quality Control Inspections (QCIs) and Safety Audits.
- Assist in the development of and/or adherence to a monthly budget.
- Coordinate with market team members to set goals and strategies for improving team and market productivity.
- Collaborate and coordinate with dispatch and sales team to ensure each tech has full schedule every day.
- Delegate work to technicians as unscheduled repair calls come in and coordinate with internal team accordingly.
- Participate in a regular safety meeting to review organizational safety information and messages to reiterate the safety culture of the company.
- Implement safety processes and procedures and monitor technicians’ adherence to them.
- Provide guidance and expert advice to management, subordinates, or customers on technical, systems-, or process-related topics and encourage others to do the same.
- Collaborate with customers to provide solutions that meet customer vehicle maintenance requirements. Able to act as liaison between technicians and customers.
- Facilitate communication and problem solving across various organizational functions to resolve any issues.
- Provide technicians with standard and emergency operating procedures for maintenance, replacement, and repair work.
- Monitor inventory levels of equipment, parts, or tools across technicians.
- Interview, select, and train new technicians.
- Actively work across company organizations to resolve items related to the technician’s role, such as HR, Parts/Procurement, Fleet Management, IT, etc.
- Operate a company-issued vehicle to travel to technicians and customer locations.
- May perform some technician duties such as preventive maintenance or parts repairs or replacements as needed using the appropriate tools and equipment to model appropriate practices for technicians.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and 6 years’ experience in a related field. The right candidate could also have a different combination, such as a master’s degree and 4 years’ experience; a Ph.D. and one (1) years’ experience in a related field; or 10 years’ experience in a related field.
- 1+ year of experience in management or lead role
- Safe drivers needed; valid driver’s license required.
- Must be at least 21 yrs. or older.
- Skills in coaching, mentoring, teaching, disciplining, having difficult conversations and ‘tough love’ as it pertains to mobile technicians.
- Knowledge of the mobile work environment and challenges, maintenance practices, and processes requirements for mobile maintenance.
- Ability to coordinate multiple group efforts to solve issues related to the technician job.
- Ability to act with a high sense of urgency.
- Ethics & Values: Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he preaches.
- Action Oriented: Has a sense of urgency daily; is action oriented; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Technician Focus: Will seamlessly adjust leadership approaches and technique to manage a diverse set of technicians.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in services; acts with customers/technicians in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers/technicians and gains their trust and respect.
- Systems: Demonstrated ability to learn and use IT systems related to technician day to day activity and performance, such as various dispatching software, reporting tools, Workday, Salesforce, Kronos, Power BI, etc.
- Functional/Technical Skills: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Listening: Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he disagrees.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Problem Solving: Can identify problems and develop practical solutions. Able to understand internal constraints and avoid a ‘take it or leave it’ approach to problem-solving.
To be employed in this role, you'll need to clear a pre-employment drug test. Cox Automotive does not currently administer a pre-employment drug test for marijuana for this position. However, we are a drug-free workplace, so the possession, use or being under the influence of drugs illegal under federal or state law during work hours, on company property and/or in company vehicles is prohibited.
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What’s more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.