Cox Communications is hiring for an entry level Residential Broadband Technician that will focus on Residential work including automation. You will provide a world class customer experience while installing and repairing residential products and services. Using a variety of skills and tools, you will complete all tasks safely, efficiently, with high quality, and within efficient timeframes to keep our customers happy.
If you’re looking for a truckload of benefits, we’ve got plenty to install, starting with great, highly competitive pay, generous incentives, and other compensation perks (401k + company match, comprehensive medical benefits, etc.). We also offer free Internet , and discounts on other Cox services valued at up to $300 per month. We’ll also connect you with tuition reimbursement for academic pursuits, adoption assistance, paid time off to volunteer, childcare and eldercare resources, pet insurance and much more. In 2022, we’re proud to introduce fertility coverage with Progyny Fertility.
This opportunity is with Cox Communications, part of the Cox family of businesses, and we’re all about connecting our customers to a world of possibilities. As part of a customer experience driven team, you will earn an hourly rate of $21.19 .
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Installs, disconnects, and troubleshoots video, high-speed internet, telephony and automation services.
- Drives a company vehicle between office or home, warehouse, and work sites in a safe and courteous manner, and in accordance with all laws and company policies.
- Monitors Cox’s current work enablement system (e.g. CX Connect) throughout the day for information regarding changes to work schedule and for information about current work assignments.
- Communicates with the CommCenter for onsite support and/or routing assistance, as well as interacts with customers in a professional, courteous manner, including educating customers regarding their services and Cox products.
- Works under supervision and consults with supervisor and other technicians for advice and assistance as needed. Some latitude/independent judgement required in performing the work.
- Ensures the quality of services provided to end users meets or exceeds established industry and company performance standards and is compliant with all applicable national, state and local laws and regulations.
- Participates in team meetings, as scheduled, and attends job-related trainings.
- Works a set schedule and possibly works unscheduled hours based on business need.
- Works with alarms, low voltage electricity, and color-coded wires.
- Maintains accurate and high-quality recordkeeping of transactions as required.
- Completes other work assignments as requested.
- High school degree or GED equivalent preferred; post-high school education a plus
- 18 years of age
- Valid state driver’s license and a good driving record
- Certifications and licenses, as required by state and municipal laws
- Successfully meet (and maintain) background check requirements including additional requirements (if any) for specialized projects/services
- One year of work experience in a comparable field (e.g. related hands-on trade role)
- Minimum of one year of direct customer service experience
- PC and Windows software skills
- Stable work history
- Able to work required shifts and overtime (if necessary)
- Travel as business needs dictate
- 5+ years of experience specifically in-service installation and repair in multiple service provider and/or telecommunications environment.
- Spanish proficiency desirable in some locations
The statements in this job posting are intended to represent the key duties, essential nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be all responsibilities or qualifications of the job.
- Ability to carry and use tools and equipment
- Adequate ability to distinguish different colors of wire
- Ability to frequently bend, stoop, and crawl
- The physical limitation of ladder and associated fall protection equipment provided is:
- 1AA ladder - 375 pounds (inclusive of body weight, tools, equipment, PPE etc.) Tools and equipment weigh approximately 50 pounds
- The physical limitations of applicable equipment (such as aerial lift/buck truck boom, ladder, fall protection harness) includes body weight capacities of approximately 325 pounds.
- Get in and out of a van to retrieve various items. Step heights are 19"
- Lift 500' rolls of RG 11 Messenger Cable weighing 40 lbs. These rolls are lifted from a height of 12" and placed up to a height of 36".
- Raise and lower a ladder roof rack requiring 40 pounds of force with hand heights at 55" - 60".
- Compress fittings onto coaxial cables with a crimping tool requiring 19 pounds of force with one hand.
- Ascend and descend a ladder while wearing a tool belt that weighs 10 lbs.
- Lift and carry a 63 lb., 28' extension ladder
- Lift 1000' rolls of Tri-Shield weighing 28 lbs. These rolls are lifted from a height of 12" and placed up to a height of 47".
- Lift miscellaneous tools and products within the warehouse and van racks.
- These items weigh up to 10 lbs. and are lifted from the floor and up to a height of 72".
- A physical exam to verify the physical requirements above as well others not listed may be required
- Ability to climb ladders and/or utility poles and work in in high places
- Ability to work in small places (such as crawl spaces and attics)
- Ability to work outdoors and in extreme weather conditions and varying topographic, wet and dry locations.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.