The Construction Planner III is a seasoned contributor with deep understanding of construction planning activities. Leads complex projects that may incorporate new technologies, & work that supports strategic initiatives. Applies advanced skills to resolve the most complex problems. Primary responsibilities to plan, coordinate and build all aspects of node splits, analog and digital, and FTTP. Support of additional Network Transformation (NT) technologies as needed. Projects may span multiple months or years & require greater collaboration with internal & external boundary partners. Performs field assessments, creates efficient route designs and estimates costs. Plans network splicing for coax and fiber optic networks. May obtain access and right-of-way agreements where applicable. Coordinates permitting and pole applications, joint-trenching, and make-ready for utility poles. Repairs and inspects Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) networks to maintain construction standards. Ensures HFC network readiness for launch or deployment of products.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Provide oversight of construction project to include materials, contract labor, resources, & estimates to include timelines & expected expenses. Primary work will be in support of all aspects of node splits, analog and digital, and FTTP. Support of additional Network Transformation (NT) technologies as needed.
- Performs site assessments of proposed construction projects and ensures alternative routing delivers the most cost effective design for construction.
- Coordinates all customer implementation activities including site walk-throughs, verification of demarcation point, coordinates access for subcontract labor, and requests private utility information.
- Coordinates contractor work, coordinate and/or obtains permits, access, or ROW agreements where applicable, distributes design prints and other necessary working documents. Negotiates and approves design or construction changes with contractors and/or customers.
- Coordinates with public works personnel, developers, customers, building owners, and utilities on projects.
- Coordinates with boundary partners such as Fiber Technicians, transport Engineering, various contractors, and General Contractors on a build site.
- Higher level of collaboration with boundary partners which may include coordination of fiber splicing & testing to ensure readiness for release of addresses.
- Interacts with department of transportation, outside agency or other utilities to complete public works or third party conversions.
- Completes associated tasks within workflow databases and updates schedules.
- Estimates construction costs, prepares budgets, manages change orders, approve contractor invoices and tracks expenses.
- Participates in managing and estimating revenue forecasts, material planning, capital and expense budgets.
- Verifies serviceability, surveys proposed service routing, and estimates material, construction, and labor costs.
- Initiates customer contacts, coordinates and/or secures access or ROW agreements, completes route designs, and takes necessary steps to meet customer needs.
- Inspect construction work or coordinate inspection assignments.
- Releases addresses as serviceable and notifies other departments of serviceability.
- As projects are completed, perform tasks to close tasks in database/tool, reconcile assets, and generate reports to ensure proper closure of project.
- Partners with contractors to ensure Cox standards are applied to construction builds.
- Develops new approaches to providing solutions and makes recommendations to leadership for change in process.
- Provides general guidance and technical assistance to lower level Planners.
- Participates in BCP events, as needed.
- HS diploma, GED or relevant work experience;
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a Planner II, proficient in all core responsibilities for Planner I & II, completed all learning & development requirements for Planner I & II.
- Experience with all node split activities and FTTP brownfield overbuilds required
- Able to anticipate problems, provides feedback & makes recommendation for resolution.
- Requires strong knowledge of construction planning
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, presentation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
- AS/AA or Technical Certification in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Engineering Technology, Electronics, Construction, etc.).
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.