Sales is more than a numbers game. It leads to business success. It demands true connection with the customer. It is vital to the growth of an organization. If you are looking for an opportunity to take your career to the next level, it’s time to learn more about our Director of Sales! We are a leading provider of technology solutions with great teams across the U.S. and we’re looking for people like you!
As a Director of Sales over our Northern Virginia market, you will help us manage and grow our local and enterprise footprint. You’ll focus your efforts on seller development to create a high performing sales organization that delivers best in class service.
If you’re feeling connected to this kind of opportunity, then read on.
Who You Are
You’re an innovative sales executive who loves building teams. You love sales for many reasons, but at the top of the list is your passion for creatively experimenting with new ideas, concepts, tools and approaches to building new partnerships and lead generation. You’ve got a broad understanding of what it takes to run a highly successful team and are ready to run your next race with a company that puts connections first.
What You’ll Do
Of course, as a Sales Director, you’ll do a lot leading. By developing and managing an effective team, you’ll be creating a culture of accountability and driving growth. You’ll align internal and external relationships to achieve local and national market sales and revenue goals. You’ll partner cross-functionally, focused on enhancing Enterprise solutions to further deepen market penetration.
You’ll Also Tackle These To-do’s
- Develops a professional sales culture. Serves as a role model for the sales team in all aspects of the business. Balances the urgency of meeting budget goals with focus on team success.
- Ensures the effective direction of the sales management team to achieve the organization’s financial targets.
- Assesses the productivity of the overall sales organization and recommends adjustments to staffing, quotas, commissions and resources in order to maximize results.
- Conducts reviews of direct reports to ensure performance standards are met and, if not, takes immediate action to improve performance level.
- Hires Sales Managers with the abilities required to lead the achievement of sales and other business goals
- Coaches, develops and manages Sales Managers to improve individual and team performance and capability.
- Collaborates with local Human Resource coordinator and Cox Business Services Atlanta to ensure the personnel and training needs of the sales team are met.
- Develops tactical plans for base protection, competitive threats, growth, and market development.
- Approves and coordinates sales accounts and territory agreements.
- Oversees channel strategies of direct reports, ensures an appropriate balance of channel relationships, and implements corporate programs and policies for new channels.
- Collaborates with Finance, Marketing and Engineering or others as required in the annual budgeting process. Recommends sales quotas, compensation plan adjustments and management targets that will meet or exceed budgeted sales goals.
- Develops, manages and monitors the Department’s Sales Plan. Takes proactive measures to keep the Sales Department on plan. Reacts quickly with corrective action when sales are not meeting expectations.
- Develops programs, campaigns, policies and resources in order to maximize the efficiency of the sales organization and the productivity of each sales channel.
- Partners with Marketing, Operations, Installation, Finance, Construction and Engineering to ensure that strategies and processes are aligned. Works with counterparts at corporate and Residential as required Ensuring the system is selling in alignment with corporate/regional sales strategies.
- Communicates customer concerns, sales opportunities, implementations, and related issues within the sales team, across the system, across systems, and with corporate/regional staffs. Recommends and coordinates implementation of solutions with various Cox organizations.
- Guides sales team meetings to communicate progress toward sales targets and changes in direction, products, policies, expectations, processes, and standards.
- Creates and participates in opportunities to serve as a public representative and image builder of Cox in the local community in order to network and develop and maintain Cox’s presence; e.g., promotes and/or attends non-profit events, serves as a member of the Chamber of Commerce and other local councils.
- Develops appropriate tracking metrics and provides regular sales reports on the performance of the sales organization. Maintains regular (pipeline) reports in order to determine that there are sufficient sales opportunities at all stages of the sales cycle to achieve budgeted sales targets.
- Recommends approval or disapproval of business cases for capital investment, based on the return on investment, for opportunities rolled up by his management team. Reviews commission policies, reports and payments as required.
- Controls expenses and maximizes capital investments while meeting or exceeding revenue goals and maximizing product margin.
- Remains current on technical information regarding Cox’s telephony, data and video products and offerings, Customer Premises Equipment (CPE), networking, consultative sales skills, and sales management and negotiation skills through completion of required/recommended training program.
What’s In It For You?
- First, we offer a healthy compensation package (base salary plus commission and bonus incentive), 401(k) with a generous company match, comprehensive healthcare, life, and disability benefits, plus numerous other benefits, including adoption assistance, pet insurance, and discounts on travel and cars!
- We value people more than technology. That means you’ll work within a culture and with a team that values your leadership, your experience, your contributions, and you – yes, you – as a person. We believe recognition is important, and Cox strives to celebrate those who help make us successful every day. We also encourage diversity and support inclusion; we want you to do you and feel comfortable doing so.
- We also offer boundless opportunities for growth; you can sharpen your skills, learn a new talent, join a mentoring program, even earn an advanced degree. You’ll find the potential for lateral or upward career growth within the Cox family businesses, including the innovative startups in transportation mobility, clean tech and more.
What the Role Requires
- 10 years successful sales experience in related field achieving objectives and quotas
- 5 years successful experience in sales management preferred demonstrating progressive leadership responsibilities
- Requires 6 months’ work experience using Windows-based PCs, Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, reliable transportation
- Excellent skills in leading complex organizations, matrix management, building relationships, building sales organizations, business sales skills, coaching and development, demonstrates business acumen, high impact communication, continuous learning, marshaling resources, promoting accountabiltiy, PC skills, and setting sales unit strategy, in order to work effectively with teams throughout organization.
Nice to Have
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired
- 3 years’ experience managing Sales Managers in a related field
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired
- Knowledge of and business relationships in the market
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.