Cox Communications is searching for a Cox Business Access Engineer I. This role is responsible for engineering and documenting telecommunication transmission systems to deliver voice, video, data, and wireless services across regional and national converged networks. Access Engineers are accountable for projects, including database management, and are focused on the circuit design perspective of services ranging from DS-0 to DWDM. Projects also include native ethernet and IP services delivered over fiber optical and hybrid coaxial lines (HFC). Position is in a high paced environment with numerous challenges involving a wide array of product types and network architectures including legacy SONET and TDM transport.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
• Prepares cost estimates to deliver Ethernet, IP Services and other network services across the Cox network.
• Assists in the development and documentation of any methods of procedure or engineering processes.
• Assist in the evaluation of new services and devices as it relates to the standard processes and engineering records.
• Provide circuit design for varied services such as Ethernet, IP, WIFI and SIP. Includes technical designs of peripheral systems involving multiple telecommunications technologies supporting voice, data, video, and other services.
• Provide circuit design for Legacy TDM services including transport on SONET Networks.
• Provides network planning as it relates to Access Network which includes all access rings (including CO) and customer premise equipment, digital access cross connects systems and all collocation and interconnect facilities.
• Self-assign tasks from various systems and manage productivity within established processes.
• Responsible for maintaining service order queues and completing tasks within SLA (Service Level Agreement)
• Provide engineering assistance to boundary partners as it relates to enhancements of engineering specifications needed and/or adherence to guidelines.
• Perform analysis of and approval for network architectures, requested by boundary partners, within established guidelines.
• Responsible for data accuracy in company supported circuit database for all designs.
• Performs analysis of the network capacity from various systems to ensure engineering specifications are compliant with standards.
• Perform engineering and coordination activities on special projects which typically fall outside of established processes.
• Assist in proactive reporting for capacity needs in hubs/cabinets within the network. Analyzes bandwidth utilization to determine ring upgrades and ring splits.
• Perform self-managed administrative duties such as time reporting and training.
• Be part of a team to develop new process and best practices to improve efficiencies.
• Perform other duties assigned by FE&O Leadership.
- 1 or more industry standard intermediate level certification(s): Juniper JNCIA-JUNOS | CompTIA A+ Learn@COX| CompTIA Network + Learn@Cox
- 2+ years of experience in telecommunications or related field (i.e. Engineering, Technical Operations) or academic equivalent training
- 1 year experience developing, maintaining or contributing to detailed network designs and documentation (i.e. Engineering Work Packages, Systems or Network Requirements Specifications, Systems or Network Design Documents, Network or Systems Statements of Work)
- Requires working knowledge of transmission, switching, powering, grounding, mechanical, and cabling
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Demonstrate abilities to meet timelines and established SLAs.
- Excellent collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of various manufacturers’ telecommunications equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of backbone and loop architectures and technologies
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly preferred (i.e. Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical degree).
- Relevant industry Certification (i.e NRSI, NRSII, or CCNA)
- Experience leading projects to enhance the network capability for existing and future services
- Experience working On-net, Near-Net, Carrier and Type II
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired
- 1 year experience troubleshooting and diagnostics capabilities (i.e. documented Methods and Procedures, documented outage restorations)
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.