Real relationships are sincere, authentic, and built on trust. These are the kinds of connections that move business forward. Imagine being the person who helps bring these relationships to life. If you are looking for an opportunity to take your career to the next level, it’s time to learn more about Cox Communications. We are a leading provider of technology solutions across the US and we’re looking for people like you!
This role is responsible for coordinating and supporting key government relations programs and/or functions, interfacing with government authorities and representatives, ensuring compliance with external government regulations and the Company’s internal regulatory policies, resolving escalated government-referred requests and complaints, conducting necessary research and analysis to prepare correspondence, reports, and action plans, and coordinating special projects relating to government relations and/or regulatory compliance.
- Assists internal customers in understanding and complying with laws and regulations and resolving identified issues/problems. Participates in company annual internal audits. (e.g. FCC public file)
- Ensures local municipality confidence in company’s ability to comply with ordinance and franchise requirements and, if required, PUC confidence in company to comply with telephony regulations and tariffs.
- Engages in cross-training to both learn and teach, to ensure the adequate training and development of the team guaranteeing the long-term regulatory compliance and performance of the company.
- Develops and manages State and Federal relationships as directed.
- Supports government relations team in scheduling and preparing for system updates and briefings to State and Federal officials. Serves as back-up to Government Affairs managers and Director as needed
- Provides system updates and topical briefings to local, State, and Federal officials as needed.
- Assist with tracking legislation and activity at the State (primary) and Federal level
- If qualified and directed by leadership, may represent and advocate on Cox’s behalf before external groups as directed. May be required to register as a lobbyist.
- Serve on committees to support the Government Affairs team, not limited to Chambers and Economic Development Organizations.
- Ensures customer satisfaction through timely resolution of customer complaints referred to government relations team working closely with our executive escalations team to identify and address trends
- Ensures timely application and renewal of local and/or state licenses and certifications required for specific business operation activities, tax collection and sales activities. (e.g. sales tax collection, door to door sales activities, home security services, general business licenses)
- Assists leadership with identifying and researching public policy issues to enable the company to take proactive positions on issues. Resources include monitoring relevant Internet sites, blogs, trade publications and other news sources.
- May assist in PAC activities as directed.
- May assist in tracking political contributions where applicable.
- May assist in employee political engagement programs and event coordination (e.g. educational events, employee grassroots advocacy activities, etc.)
- May assist in resolving escalated customer service issues.
- May assist in managing the departmental budget including payables.
- May assist in managing courtesy accounts, where applicable.
- Supports and/or engages in collateral duties and additional projects as assigned.
- 2 or more years of experience required in related field (i.e. Public Relations, Communications, Government Affairs) and/or 3 or more years working for Cox in a relevant role.
- Requires strong knowledge of MS Office applications, i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
- Excellent customer service skills, verbal and written communication skills, multi-tasking, time management, organization and collaboration skills to work effectively throughout the organization and the community
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Political Science, Marketing, Business, Public Relations, Communications, etc.)
- Experience in a state legislative office and/or understanding of the legislative process is strongly desired
- Experience in politics, volunteering for campaigns, local government experience desired
- Understanding of the legislative process at the local, State, and Federal level.
- Existing relationships with local elected officials, business and community leaders
- Knowledge of local and statewide legislative process and political landscape
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.