The Director of Government and Regulatory affairs is accountable for developing and executing strategies to proactively respond to federal, state, local and other public policy agencies and legislation to maintain the company's positive image and ensure an optimal operating environment. This role promotes and advocates at the federal, state, and local levels to shape and advance company interests. The position remains knowledgeable of legislation, ordinances and regulations and responds to emerging issues to remove barriers that impede business growth and achievement of company goals.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Develops and oversees execution of strategies by Government Affairs team for federal, state, local, and other public policy agency legislation
- Manages relationships with local franchise authorities, state and local elected officials and other public opinion leaders to maintain the company's positive image and ensures an optimal operating environment
- Develops and manages department budgets and leads long-term strategic planning initiatives
- Develops, plans and implements grass-roots campaigns to advance company interests
- Provides analytical review of legislation, ordinances and other legal documents, validates business impact, risks, liabilities, and opportunities in collaboration with other parties
- Reviews, drafts, edits and negotiates complex agreements with governmental agencies and third parties such as franchise agreements, renewals, Right-of-Way agreements, settlement agreements
- Proposes legislation, municipal ordinances, and various company filings with governmental agencies
- Leads video franchise efforts in coordination and collaboration with Cox legal and policy teams
- Remains aware and knowledgeable of applicable Federal Communications Commission laws and regulations and state utilities commission regulations
- Continually evaluates results of government relations activities and adjusts activities to meet changing local conditions
- Consults company leadership on effective methods and tactics for maintaining relationships with public entities
- Coaches leadership on etiquette, image and appearance before legislators to ensure the company, activities and priorities are perceived positively and the company’s interests advocated and advanced
- Partners closely with Marketing, Sales, Cox Media, Cox Business, and other departments to ensure alignment of strategies and initiatives for maximum benefit and ROI
- Oversee activities of Government Affairs team and collaborates with key boundary partners such as Public Relations/Communications and/or Community Relations to support business growth and key initiatives
- Oversees day-to-day functions of Government Affairs team, hires, develops, sets goals and trains staff
- Recognizes, leads, motivates and coaches employees to achieve department and company goals
- Interprets and communicates company goals and strategic business direction and initiatives to employees
- Directs the development of strategic plans for department; translates strategies into short-term objectives and goals; oversees implementation of initiatives
- Develops and standardizes department practices
- Identifies and analyzes market trends; coordinates and collaborates with others to determine appropriate responses
- Establishes and leverages strong partnerships with internal/external partners and customers
- Oversees community partner programs to align with government and community relations
- Manage political donation budget and strategy and CA PAC.
- 10 or more years of experience required in related field (i.e. law, public policy, lobby, advocacy, etc.)
- Experience working locally on lobbying efforts in market is required
- Experience working with all levels of the organization, particularly mid- and senior-level executives
- Strong written and verbal skills, ability to adapt communication to different target audiences
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, presentation and collaborative skills to work effectively with leadership and teams across the organization
- Requires high level of discretion and confidentiality; ability to deal with ambiguity and influencing without direct authority
- Experience in strategy, planning and delivery of internal and external campaigns
- Strong ability to execute and manage people, projects and details
- Demonstrates strong awareness of business and organization sensitivity and adapts communication accordingly
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and exhibit professionalism under pressure
- Strong influencing and problem solving skills
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office (i.e. excel, PowerPoint, word, etc.)
- Willingness and ability to travel to different Cox markets
- Regular travel to events including nights and weekend events
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Political Science, Public Policy, Law etc.)
- J.D, MBA or other advanced degree desired
- 5 or more years of experience in a management role or leading cross functional projects preferred
- Experience working in a state elected office, advocacy, or within public policy, strongly preferred
- Knowledge of, and experience lobbying on telecommunications issues preferred
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.