VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
Cox Communications is searching for a hands-on software engineer to work as part of a cross-functional development team to design, build, and automate the network forecast, telemetry, performance monitoring, failure prediction, workflow engine and configuration management systems for Cox’s nationwide IP and Optical backbone. You will need a good understanding of computer networks, Linux systems, as well as emerging information management technologies like Big Data and Machine Learning. This job function resides within the Network Engineering team which collaborates with various engineering and operational teams to sustain the best network experience for our customers. The Network Engineering teams are responsible for reliability, performance, scalability, quality and availability of the Nationwide Backbone Network.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Work on the design, development, testing, and documentation of new network-focused software applications and automation.
• Lead and propose solution design activities, including data modeling, data repository, data transformation and analytics.
• Develop and deploy technologies such as RESTful APIs, software front-ends, and data visualizations to influence internal and external teams to adopt, support and integrate automation initiatives directly into operational systems and processes.
• Develop analytics tools to ensure we anticipate and adapt to changing trends across the network.
• Create actionable recommendations to address changes in network trends through real-time analysis and modeling of quantitative data.
• Evaluate new and emerging software technologies for implementation.
• Automate and consolidate some existing platforms and tools.
• Create platforms and other application prototypes quickly.
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- 8+ years of professional experience in software development.
- Familiarity with the integration of data into operational processes through the use of RESTful APIs and software applications.
- Knowledge and hands on experience with Hadoop, Spark and HBase or other ‘NoSQL’ platforms for Big Data warehousing and analytics.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and able to work as part of cross-functional teams.
- Understanding of basic network fundamentals, including TCP/IP routing, MPLS, BGP, capacity planning and routing/switching hardware.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, listening, written, and verbal communication and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout the organization.
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to distill and present actionable information from complex research or analysis to both teammates and leadership.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or Management Information Systems.
- Experience in software architecture, design, development and deployment of large and distributed systems.
- Data analytics, data mining, and/or machine learning experience.
- UNIX system administrator background.
- Prior experience working for a network service provider with 99.999% uptime expectations.
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.