VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a leading media voice in the South with a rich journalism history, seeks to amplify and expand the audience for our great journalism – from reporting, writing, and photojournalism, to data visualizations, audio storytelling, and compelling digital presentations that marry all the tools in our storytelling toolkit.
We are creating a new digital storytelling team to work collaboratively with folks across news, visuals, and product. This team will identify, create, and deliver high-quality, digital-first news experiences to our audiences daily for our most ambitious work.
We are seeking a first-rate digital journalist and editor to lead this team.
The team will include designers, developers and specialists in digital storytelling tools and techniques. It will also include our award-winning team of data journalists, who obtain and analyze information to drive investigative and enterprise stories that rely on the authority of data and analysis as the backbone of storytelling.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution serves a growing, vibrant and diverse metro area in one of the country’s most politically important states. If you believe in the power of professional journalism to shape a better society and more informed citizenry and want to join a team that is ensuring this mission lasts well into the future, please consider applying.
Please note this person must be based in Atlanta, GA.
In this position you will:
- Lead a cross-functional team of data journalists, audience specialists, designers, and developers
- Manage the creation and delivery of big digital news projects and presentations tailored to work across multiple digital platforms
- Create and maintain a calendar of ambitious projects that make an impact on our readers
- Coordinate and align members of various teams, including those you don’t directly manage, to ensure successful outcomes.
- Collaborating with content leaders, set priorities among limited and in-demand digital storytelling resources.
- Ensure effective collaboration between news teams and non-news teams such as product, engineering, sales, customer experience, and marketing
- Act as a key leader in our newsroom as we chart a course to a digital future, and drive innovation in how we conceive and present digital journalism
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- At least 5 years of experience as a professional journalist or in media
- At least 3 years of experience as a team lead, coach, or manager of people in a fast-paced operational role
- At least 2 years of experience in digital storytelling, audience engagement environment or the equivalent
- Knowledge on the most recent trends in online publishing and digital readership trends
- Ability to nurture talent and identify key hires to accomplish company goals
- An ability to take and give constructive criticism
- Passion and belief in local, regional and statewide journalism and its role as a societal change agent
- Familiarity and experience in using audience metrics to drive tactical as well as strategic decisions on content production and resource allocation
- Experience in social media as a vehicle to drive traffic, increase reader engagement and build brand
- Demonstrable understanding of journalism standards and media ethics
Preferred Experience in one or more of the following:
- Data journalism, data science, or related field
- Social, interactive or digital media
- Product, design, or web development
Additional experience, skills and qualifications may qualify an applicant for a Senior Editor role.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in journalism, product development, or related field.
- Additional years of direct experience (beyond the minimum requirement) in a similar role may be substituted for education.
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.