VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
At Cox, we connect people to the things they love. Here in New Growth and Development, connection is just the beginning. The NG&D organization is focused on identifying and exploring areas of future, sustained growth across the entire enterprise. In other words, we work to answer “what’s next” to solve real problems for Cox and our customers.
This job is Innovation, Technology, Strategic Planning, Corporate Development, and Partnerships all wrapped into one. As the Corporate Development Director focused on our Internet of Things (IOT) portfolio, you’ll have a hand in shaping what “connectivity” means to people and the things they care about most – ultimately re-inventing and enriching the way people engage with the world around them. This includes everything from energy, healthcare, automotive, home, business and community. You will have the chance to explore highly complex problems within the Internet of Things eco-system, develop theses based on what’s trending, and identify high-potential companies and opportunities for Cox to engage. In addition, you will contribute to the diligence and decision-making process, collaborate with the rest of the New Growth and Mergers & Acquisitions team, and interact with our portfolio companies to ensure the success of our partnerships and investments.
- Market analysis
- Identify and assess relevant success/performance metrics, develop predictions about how specific markets are evolving, and track activity in the industry ecosystem
- Ad hoc research: Perform business and technology research on markets, companies, and trends
- Support the process to analyze emerging and adjacent market, product, competitive, and technology trends to identify new growth opportunities
- Partnership evaluation
- Lead the business development effort to identify new growth initiatives and partners with which to develop new business initiatives for the company
- Find interesting companies and projects: Build and continuously update based on market signals, your own theses and market map, and a network of key relationships
- Evaluate prospective investments: Assist in diligence efforts for specific companies we are considering investing in, or an entire category of startups we are evaluating
- Structure and negotiate deals to support robust and meaningful IOT partnerships
- Develop and maintain the portfolio(s) of adjacent growth opportunities driving towards revenue opportunities
- Leadership, process management & other
- Provide leadership to team of supporting resources and boundary partners
- Cultivate a network of subject matter experts: Nurture and maintain relationships with influential people in order to both source deals and gather market intelligence
- Provide leadership in developing Cox’s alliances, partnerships and industry relationships to maintain Cox’s position as a respected thought leader in the industry
- Manage board responsibilities for relevant investment portfolio companies
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered)
- 6-8+ years related experience in business development, venture capital, private equity, investment banking or consulting/strategy disciplines
- Genuine intellectual curiosity, ability to learn new facts and concepts quickly and comprehensively, and to synthesize and communicate effectively to others in both verbal and written forms, up to and including influencing senior internal and external stakeholders
- Team player mindset and ability to collaborate with colleagues, navigate relationships in the broader technology ecosystem, and ensure that entrepreneurs have an excellent experience engaging with Cox
- Ability to operate independently to navigate tight deadlines, juggle a long list of competing priorities, and operate in a dynamic environment without compromising sharp attention to detail
- Intellectual horsepower, desire, and proven ability to learn new domains and technologies quickly, energetic “can-do” attitude and commitment to excellence
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, in addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong and demonstrable project/process management experience and large team facilitation skills
- MBA or equivalent
- Experience in and working knowledge of Internet of Things technologies and markets
- Experience in start-up businesses and/or end-to-end new product development experience, with entrepreneurial spirit
- Proven ability to structure and negotiate complex business agreements addressing technology, operational, intellectual property, and policy matters
- Business understanding and working knowledge of the cable /communication industry, systems, and networks, as well as current and emerging technologies and standards is very beneficial
- Willingness to travel
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.