VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
Reporting to the Director of Government Affairs in Orange County, the Manager, Government Affairs promotes and advances the interests of the company to enable Cox to operate in its markets without undue legislation, regulation, or taxation restrictions. The Manager leverages extensive professional networks developed and maintained, as well as a strong and evolving knowledge base to play a highly influential role through diverse accountabilities.
Manager role accountabilities include but are not limited to ensuring Cox Communication’s compliance with licensing and other regulations at the federal, state and local levels; representing and advocating for Cox’s interests regarding public policy that furthers the interests of the company. The Manager also supports business development by advocating for and representing Cox subsidiaries, lines of business, and/or other Cox divisions doing business in California.
The Manager contributes to short on long-term strategies based on known issues and successfully executes them once approved. The manager also plays an important role in employee engagement, PAC involvement, education for employees and elected officials, as well as other grass roots and community involvement activities serving to elevate the company’s presence and brand within the markets served. The role works out of Cox’s Orange County office with a high level of accountability and autonomy and may or may not have direct reports.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Monitors public agency agendas and meetings that may include items of interest to Cox.
- Ensures boundary partners are informed of the terms of and compliant with license/franchise agreements.
- Works seamlessly and strategically with broader California Public Affairs team to assure absolute alignment.
- Manages overall Orange County chamber and external organization membership.
- Works with other departments to assist with permitting, right of way, license, and legal issues.
- Oversees development and maintenance of Government Affairs contact information as well as (separately) election information for OC and PV markets.
- Sends regular communications to municipalities for service-related issues such as channel changes or rate increases, etc. (to comply with FCC rules).
- May negotiate agreements and renewals at the local and state agencies.
- May oversee notifications, and respond to inquiries, problems and issues raised by municipalities, state and federal officials or agencies.
- May serve as the main point of contact in the market/state regarding the FCC public file.
- Develops and implements tactical plans for department including priorities, objectives, and timelines to meet performance goals.
- Manges escalation issues from government agencies and stakeholders.
- Works with the Construction Department at the local level on permitting, escalations, work with property owners for rights of way.
- Collaborates to develop and execute government affairs strategies in the market/state that advance the goals and objectives of the company at the municipal level of government.
- Advocates for the company on key policy issues and initiatives with municipal elected officials and staff.
- Testifies/presents at municipal meetings, as necessary, to represent and advocate for the company’s interests on any matters that may have the potential to impact the business.
- Continually evaluates results of government relations activities, develops strategies, and adjusts activities to meet changing local conditions.
- As directed may work with local and state lobbying firms/consultants and communicates company goals and objectives.
- May develop grass-roots campaigns to advocate Cox’ position on important issues, some may be market specific.
- Maintains good relationships with public entities and appearances before local, state and federal elected officials.
- May be required to assemble and file all local and state lobbying reports as required by law.
- May prepare information and coordinate with the federal lobbying team for Congressional meetings held locally or in Washington, DC.
- Prepares local economic impact reports.
- Attend fundraising events and manage local requests for corporate and PAC support.
- Collaborates to develop and execute a political strategy for candidate and issue support during election seasons.
- Collaborations strategically with other stakeholders on issues that impact the company
- May plan and execute employee political engagement programs and regional/market communications.
- Supports the execution of community events that support or align with public policy issues.
- May represent Cox in non-profit or business-related boards and events that have business impact or to secure stakeholder engagement.
- Assists in creating economic development and business service strategies in collaboration with Cox Business, Hospitality Network, and Cox Media.
- Partners with representatives from other Cox subsidiaries and divisions (CEI & CAI) as needed for tips on new developments and to leverage networks.
- Recognizes political issues and market conditions that can impact business development or emerging issues.
- May lead or contribute to CEI RFP or RFQ development.
- Tracks market trends and business climate changes that impact business decisions.
- Identifies opportunities for growth utilizing federal and state infrastructure dollars.
- May develop policies and procedures for department to standardize practices.
- Analyzes market trends; coordinates and communicates with others to determine appropriate responses.
- Manages communications program with local elected official offices, city managers, city PIOs and others.
- Establishes and leverages strong partnerships with key departments and internal/external customers.
- May be responsible for government affairs budgeting.
- May be a People Leader or a Functional Manager without direct reports; directly leverages, influences, and has on-going access to reporting/non-reporting resources to achieve results.
- Depending on local market needs, may be required to exercise autonomy in decision making, actions, and influence to meet with local officials, and expect high level of representation of company.
- Provides Market Leader support as needed depending on the market, such as involvement in business and community organizations that may require alignment of company position on policy measures.
- Inform Litigation and Legal strategy based on local and political landscape.
- BS/BA in related discipline (i.e. political science, law, business, communications, etc.) strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of direct local government affairs experience and established relationships.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders with varied and different opinions on public policy issues.
- Known resource and problem solver.
- Lobbying skills and experience.
- Applicable experience related to public utility commission/telecom regulatory issues.
- Masters in a related discipline desired.
- Experience with local, state govt affairs issues is strongly preferred.
- Experience with federal government govt affairs a plus /optional.
- Issues management and PAC experience desired.
- Direct local government affairs experience and established relationships in the Orange County market
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.