At Cox, we’re forward-thinking innovators who put people first. Our award-winning workplace culture is centered on inclusion and kindness, and we’re looking for people to join our mission to be a force for good in the world. Come build a better future with us across automotive, communications, the environment and more.
We want to do everything we can to keep our employees safe and healthy. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will of course be considered.
Keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to join the Cox family of businesses.
$5,000 TOTAL SIGN ON BONUS! 50% AFTER 30 DAYS AND 50% AFTER 180 DAYS***
Cox Automotive Mobility Fleet Services keeps your fleet moving.
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Cox Automotive Mobility Fleet Services (CAMFS) has grown to become one of the largest fleet maintenance companies in the country.
CAMFS is the leading provider of on-site mobile maintenance and repair services nationwide, offering mobile on-site fleet service for light medium, and heavy-duty trucks and trailers. CAMFS also services customers utilizing its 20+ nationwide service centers; each offering accident repair, painting, refurbishment, and heavy mechanical repair. We are supported by a 24/7 in-house call-center and provide scheduled maintenance services and unscheduled services to fleets anywhere, anytime.
The road of life has lots of twists and turns, and our Lead Automotive Technicians are the torque wrench-wielding surgeons for everything on four wheels who keep it moving smoothly. So, this job is kind of a big deal. It is the kind of work that calls for someone who loves cars and people. If the idea of making cars sing gets your motor running, keep reading.
Who You Are
You’re a Master-level technician who provides direction, leadership, and technical expertise to all other shop personnel with a focus on exceptional customer satisfaction in a cost-effective manner. You are confident with the right tools in your hand, and you can bring vehicles back to life with your abilities to repair and restore. When someone says, “Can you fix this?” you pretty much say “Yes” before you even know what is wrong. Despite all that swagger, you are an easygoing, friendly person, who gets along well with others and likes being part of a tight-knit team. You are cool behind the wheel of any kind of ride and take great care with how you drive. You are comfortable with all the rigors that come with working on a vehicle – and believe that the best way to raise your game is to take advantage of training opportunities as they roll your way.
What You Will Do
Working solo or with a team, you will maintain and repair vehicles for the Cox Enterprises Fleet to make them look and run like new. Remember that “loves people” thing? Well, that is because you will be delivering exceptional service to customers. Here is a list of some of the key responsibilities that accompany this job.
- Perform Preventive Maintenance: change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission flush, and inspection of the vehicle for mechanical deficiencies. Perform light and major repairs. Perform advanced vehicle diagnostics. Will have direct interaction with customers and display exceptional interpersonal skills while driving service center’s performance with the highest integrity and trust.
- Based upon certification levels, perform various repairs and maintenance which may include: OBD II systems, brake components, tires, tune-ups, suspension components, aerial lifts, electrical systems, State Safety Inspections, interior/exterior components, engine, and driveline components, etc.
- May maintain/repair equipment. (cable trailers, laptop docking stations, etc.)
- Keep shop area clean and tidy. Perform work in accordance with safety standards. Dispose of all fluids in a safe manner and in accordance with all regulations.
- Create and maintains vehicle history and maintenance records. May up-fit new vehicles with the necessary equipment.
- Performs more complex repairs, advanced diagnostics, design, and fabrication.
- Assures prompt repairs by interfacing and coordinating with vendors for parts and repairs. May perform roadside assistance as needed.
- Provides custom equipment when needed by engaging in equipment design and moderate fabrication tasks including welding.
- Assures availability of specialized trucks by troubleshooting and repairing complex hydraulic systems, generators and electrical systems, hybrids, and onboard computer systems.
- Responsible for the efficient diagnosis, repair, and replacement of general automotive parts and accessories. A Lead Technician will conduct a wide variety of diagnoses and repairs; including but not limited to brakes, drivability, emissions, steering/suspension, electrical, state safety and emissions testing, maintenance services, HVAC, major engine, and hydraulics.
- Has medium/heavy truck experience, booms/hydraulics, electrical, any complex repairs, design, and fabrication.
- Skilled in diesel and transmission repairs.
- Will possess advanced knowledge and advanced troubleshooting skills to resolve complex repairs.
- Master-level Technicians must be skilled and able to work on multiple applications, from Light-Duty to Class A-Heavy Trucks, Mechanical Equipment, Machinery, Passenger Vehicles, and more.
- Shop responsibilities may include scheduling repairs and maintenance, maintaining parts and supply inventories, and assisting Area Manager in maintaining relationships with local vendors, dealers, and sublet repair facilities for compliance with our processes and policies.
- Will maintain all shop tools to ensure they are currently in service, repair, and relative. Will be able to identify the shop tool needs and communicate with leadership.
- Is responsible for supervising shop productivity, providing work direction, and identifying priorities to a small staff of Technicians. May assist Area Manager in other duties including but not limited to training compliance for shop personnel, monitoring and obtaining HR compliance with PTO, PVO holidays, timecards.
- Will ensure all SOPs are implemented at the shop to ensure compliance with Company standards.
- Must be a self-starter, open-minded, and can deal with change and lead a team to overcome obstacles in a constructive and positive manner.
- All other duties as assigned related to the normal business of a mechanical repair facility.
- Contribute to maintaining shop morale through the appropriate distribution of work and by providing technical expertise and effective guidance and coaching to other shop employees. Act as the primary assistant to manager or supervisor in assigning and directing the work of shop employees.
- Perform quality control checks on all work; notify immediate supervisor of exceptional or unsatisfactory work, employee-related problems, or other factors hindering work accomplishment.
- Orient, train, and instruct new and current employees regarding job functions/tasks expected of them when needed.
- Assist with inventory management and ensure that all shop equipment, supplies, and tools are in good, clean working order at all times.
- Report theft, damage, or any/all safety concerns to management.
- Visibly demonstrate safety commitment by following all safety and health procedures and modeling the behaviors related to such. Work in cooperation with safety leadership in support of all safety activities aligned with Safety Excellence. Lead responsibility for safety, compliance with OSHA, EPA, and all local codes in conjunction with the shop manager.
- Work with manager to review work volumes, plan, and continuously monitor staffing levels to ensure efficiency, quality work product, and effective customer service; review departmental performance against key performance indicators and metrics to develop and execute strategies for improvement.
- Effectively leads the team at the location by setting an example in behavior, championing Cox/Manheim values, and ensuring that all employees are treated with respect.
- Enforce all company policies and procedures related to employee and customer conduct.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- High School Diploma or and equivalent combination of education is a plus but not required.
- Minimum of 7 years of automotive service and repair experience; minimum of 1 year of customer service experience with prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Must currently possess or be able to attain Master Level ASE certification within 18 months of employment.
- Must continue training to maintain current A.S.E. status and to meet with technology and fleet changes as they occur.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record required.
- Ability to drive vehicles with standard and automatic transmission.
- Ability to work safely in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to enter and exit vehicles frequently.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach, talk and hear. Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, squat, and climb.
- Vision abilities required include close, distance and color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 75 pounds (tools, equipment).
- Transmission experience preferred.
- Diesel experience preferred.
- Master-level techs must be versed to work on multiple applications from Light-Duty to Class A-Heavy Trucks, Mechanical Equipment, Machinery, Passenger Vehicles, and more.
- Requires extensive training and certification accompanied with a preferred 5-10 years of hands-on diesel repair experience.
- Must have a working knowledge of DOT and CDL requirements for medium and heavy truck applications.
- Must be able to obtain Class A or B Operator’s License is required.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Exhibit strong leadership, communication, and customer service skills.
What’s In It For You?
- Cox is a big believer in developing leaders from within the company, and once you are with us, we will support your efforts to find an ideal mentor, train for other opportunities, and make moves within the business that support your goals. Whether you are looking to accelerate your path or shift gears, we are here to fuel your journey. When it comes to your career, we care about the details.
- You will be rewarded with competitive pay and generous benefits. If you are full-time, there are tons of other perks you have come to expect (e.g., 401k + company match, comprehensive medical benefits, etc.) and others you may not expect (e.g., tuition reimbursement for academic pursuits, adoption assistance, paid time off to volunteer, childcare and eldercare resources, pet insurance (crazy cool, right?) and much more…). Automotive Technicians are also provided uniforms!
- As part of the Cox team, you will be a part of a culture that puts people first, and believes in being a force for good in our communities as well as for the planet (more specifically – Earth, though we like them all)
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.